Family Law

The ALS Family law practice provides specialist family law services in matters involving children.

Phone 1800 - 733 - 233 for family matters.


Who can we help?

Where possible, we assist mums, dads, grandparents or other family members worried about what is going on for kids. When you come and see us, bring a family member, a community member or a friend for support.

Legal assistance is subject to means, merit and conflict tests, as well as the availability of ALS family practice. 


How can we help?

Where possible, we encourage resolution of family law disputes by agreement between the parties. If necessary, we will represent people on contested hearings however this is subject to a means and merit test.

The ALS family law team can assist in:

●  Talking about what your options are
Finding solutions as an alternative to going to court
Providing referrals to other legal services that may be able to assist.
●  Helping with applications for financial assistance.
●  Arranging mediation 
Providing court representation in family law matters in courts based in Parramatta and Sydney


When can we help?

It is best to get legal advice as early as possible. Early action can avoid more serious disputes. Please talk to us as soon as possible. It means you will understand the system better and know where you stand.

Phone 1800 733 233 for family matters.



Watch this video to learn more about going to Family Court:

This film was an initiative of the Aboriginal Family Law Pathways Network as part of the Greater Sydney Family Law Pathways Network. The purpose of this film is to protect our children and to improve community understanding and access to the family law system. It dramatises the role of an Aboriginal health worker “Uncle Paul”. Uncle Paul assists Aboriginal community members to understand and use the family law system. He links family with legal services to help them protect children and keep children connected to family and culture. The film is written and directed by award winning indigenous filmmaker Larissa Behrendt AO.

More questions

Who funds our family law services?

ALS acknowledges with gratitude the funding of the Commonwealth Government and NSW Government.

What does 'conflict of interest' mean?

A 'conflict of interest' is when a law practice cannot represent both sides in a case. By law, we owe a duty of loyalty to clients to act in their best interests. We cannot do this if we act for the 'other side' in a current matter or have previously acted for the other party. It would mean that the lawyers representing each of the parties could access evidence, and use that information against the other party. 

When someone requests legal assistance from our legal practices, one of the first things we do is check for 'conflict of interest'.


Where we're located

The ALS family law team is based in Parramatta, NSW.

We have a drop in / duty family law advice service on Tuesday and Wednesday in Parramatta Family Court and a duty service for the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Families List in Sydney Family Court.

Please visit our office or phone 1800 733 233 for information 

Means and merit test information

There are a number of times when ALS cannot not assist, due to our means and merit tests. For instance:

  • We cannot arrange Legal Aid mediation unless you are entitled to Legal Aid.
  • We cannot represent you in court unless you are on a low income.
  • We cannot represent you in court unless the court matter is based in Parramatta, Sydney or Wollongong, NSW.
  • We cannot represent you if your case is not likely to be successful.
  • We cannot sign a certificate of independent legal advice.
  • We do not undertake property settlement cases.

To check whether you are eligible to access our services please  phone 1800 733 233.

Legal Aid for court costs

ALS does not have funding to cover court filing fees, service agents, barristers and expert fees.

When running a court case we help you apply for Legal Aid to cover these costs. If Legal Aid will cover the costs, ALS will represent you in the matter. If you are not eligible for Legal Aid, fall outside their means test and are also still on a low income, ALS may still be able to represent you. However this is conditional on you paying for any court fees, service agents, barristers and expert fees.

Ways to Get Involved