Tenant Advocacy Services NSW

Our tenant advocates fight for the rights of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in all forms of housing.


The Aboriginal Legal Service (NSW/ACT) has two tenant advocacy services:

Western Aboriginal Tenants Advice and Advocacy Service (WATAAS)
Covering Central West, North West and Far West areas
Phone: 02 6881 5700

Greater Sydney Tenants Advice Service (GSATS)
Covering Sydney, Blue Mountains, Central Coast, Hawkesbury, Macarthur areas
Phone: 02 9833 3314


Who can we help?

Our tenancy programs empower Aboriginal individuals, families and communities who are experiencing housing stress by providing advocacy, outreach, and tenancy legal education.

We can help you with:

●  Housing NSW and Social Housing
●  Aboriginal Community Housing Organisations
●  Local Aboriginal Land Councils
●  Mainstream Community Housing and Private Rental


How can we help?

Our advocates can provide the following services:

●  Writing letters of support
●  Telephone Advice
●  Attending  the Tribunal (NSW Civil Administrative Tribunal – NCAT)
●  Tribunal (NCAT) Mediation & Advocacy
●  Assisting with Housing Appeals Committee applications and hearings and other appeal applications
●  Assisting to resolve Repairs and Maintenance issues
●  Help find services that can assist with other issues 
●  Attend meetings with your landlord including FACS Housing
●  Negotiations with landlords
●  Referrals
●  Individual home visits

Our tenancy programs works with the NSW Tenants Union to address systemic issues and to identify test cases for tribunals court to drive law reform. 

Other frequently asked questions

Who can help if I am not in GSATS or WATAAS areas?

If you are in neither of these areas, the remaining areas in NSW are serviced by:

  • North West Aboriginal Tenant Advice Service (NATAAS)
    (Covering the Hunter, North Coast and New England areas)
    Phone: 02 6643 4426
    Free call: 1800 248 913
    Newcastle: 02 4929 5004
  • Murra Mia Tenant Advocacy Service (Southern NSW Aboriginal TAAS) 
    (Covering Illawarra, South Coast, Riverina, Upper and Central Murray)

    Phone: 02 4472 9363
    Free call: 1800 672 185

Who funds GSATS and WATAAS?

The NSW Aboriginal Tenant Advice and Advocacy Service is funded by Fair Trading NSW. Fair Trading is responsible for the administration of residential tenancy and parks legislation. The ‘Tenancy Advice and Advocacy Program’ (TAAP) assists the Government to achieve its consumer protection and social justice policy objectives through the ‘direct service’ provision of information, dispute resolution services and advocacy on behalf of tenants. In addition, TAAP provides a range of specialist ‘resource’ services and community engagement activities. The services provided by TAAP provide a particular focus for vulnerable and/or social housing tenants.

Ways to Get Involved