Manager, Moree Justice Reinvestment
Full-time 24 month contract (with possibility of extension)
The ALS aims to provide culturally appropriate information and referral, legal advice and court representation to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander men, women and children in NSW and ACT.
The ALS is committed to achieving justice for Aboriginal people and the Aboriginal community. The ALS remains committed to being community focussed; being fearless in our advocacy; accountable and ethical and aiming to make a difference to create better futures; while also acknowledging and respecting Aboriginal traditional values and cultural practices.
The Aboriginal Legal Service NSW/ACT Limited (ALS) is a public company limited by guarantee and a registered charity.
Just Reinvest NSW supports Aboriginal communities to explore and establish justice reinvestment initiatives and advocates for systemic changes that build safer and stronger communities. It began in 2011 as a strategic initiative of the ALS. The small team is guided by an Executive of Aboriginal and non-Indigenous people and supported by a network of champions, youth ambassadors and supporters across the corporate, government and not for profit sectors.
Just Reinvest NSW collaborated with the Bourke community to support the establishment of Maranguka using a justice reinvestment framework and continue to support its important work. We are also working closely with members of the Aboriginal communities in Mount Druitt and Moree to support a justice reinvestment approach in those areas.
Just Reinvest NSW is auspiced by the Aboriginal Legal Service NSW/ACT.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
Perform responsibilities to a high standard within agreed timelines and in line with Just Reinvest NSW and ALS vision, mission and values.
The JR Manager will be the local lead for community-led justice reinvestment in Moree with oversight of initiatives that address drivers into the criminal justice system.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Lead strengths-based approaches to community-led systems change;
- Identify, support and build site-based team capability and community leadership;
- Manage and support site-based team in working with the local community to create strong, trusted relationships and support better understanding of community-led justice reinvestment;
- Manage and support site-based team to work alongside the Moree community to develop community goals and ‘circuit breakers’ to reduce the rate of young people’s contact with the criminal justice system and the underlying drivers of interactions with the criminal justice system;
- Support community collaboration during data collection, facilitate community and data-driven decision-making processes to ensure they align to priority areas and goals alongside ensure all data work is informed by Indigenous Data Sovereignty principles and practices;
- Foster the site-based team within Moree by managing their human resources needs and providing opportunities for them to use their expertise and lived experiences to improve place-based community engagement and broader advocacy;
- Provide leadership, management and guidance to the site-based team members including but not limited to:
- provide coaching, mentoring and guidance;
- manage HR cyclical activities including developing workplans and conducting performance reviews;
- effectively manage performance to ensure all employee are delivering against their position description;
Your Skills and Expertise
- Demonstrated understanding of the justice system and its impacts on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples;
- A good understanding of the rationale and practice of community-led justice reinvestment;
- Experience working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities;
- Demonstrated well-developed community engagement and facilitation skills;
- A commitment to Aboriginal self-determination, community leadership and empowerment;
- Willingness to design and deliver, in partnership with the Moree community, a vision and solution to change systems holding disadvantage in place;
- Ability to work independently, to apply sound judgment when dealing with matters and proven experience in managing projects and delivering outcomes within strict timeframes;
- Strong people management skills and experience leading staff and volunteers;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to influence communities, people, organisations and government;
- Well-developed oral and written communication skills;
- Excellent problem-solving skills, self-motivated with ability to work with minimal supervision and ability to work as part of a team;
- Ability and willingness to travel and work in different locations;
- Demonstrated commitment to the effective implementation of Workplace Health & Safety and Ethical and Diversity practices in the workplace.
To download a copy of the Application Package for this position please click here
Please submit your application to Alanna Reneman, Operations Manager, Just Reinvest NSW -
Only candidates with completed application packages will be considered.
Applications for this position close at 5 pm on 8 December 2021.
This is an Aboriginal/Torres Strait Islander identified position which is a genuine occupational qualification and is authorized under section 14(d) of the Anti-Discrimination Act 1977.