St Marys | Full-time | Fixed-term (12 months)
The Aboriginal Legal Service is offering an exciting opportunity to advise and support Aboriginal people with residential housing matters. Enjoy coming to work each day with a purpose-driven organisation that makes a real difference.
This role is identified for Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people.
This role would suit a community member with strong negotiation and problem solving skills and lived experience of tenancy issues.
About the ALS
Born out of a protest movement, the Aboriginal Legal Service (NSW/ACT) Limited is the primary legal service for Aboriginal people in NSW and the ACT. Our vision is to achieve social justice and equity for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, families and communities.
We offer a diverse, inclusive and supportive work environment. We’re passionate about what we do and we work hard. The ALS values the health and wellbeing of our employees and we are proud to offer flexible work practices. Staff can choose to take advantage of benefits including salary packaging to maximise take-home pay.
About the role
The Greater Sydney Aboriginal Tenancy Service (GSATS) is based in St Mary’s and its catchment area spans from Gosford to Helensburgh and west to the Blue Mountains.
GSATS provides advice, advocacy and support to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people with their housing tenancy matters.
Your skills and experience
- An appreciation of the role and functions of the Aboriginal Tenant Advice and Advocacy Services, with ability to build knowledge of the relevant legislation and policies
- Understanding of the public, social and private sector rental housing issues and challenges affecting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
- Knowledge of support and referral services available to Aboriginal clients, including those which are homeless or about to become homeless and those affected by family or domestic violence
- Ability to work independently, to apply sound judgment when dealing with complex matters and experience in continuous improvement and delivery of customer service
- Excellent communication, negotiation and problem-solving skills, self-motivated with ability to work with minimal supervision and ability to work as part of a team
How to apply
Please submit the completed application package to Susan Gibbs, Tenancy Manager at [email protected]
- If you have any enquiries or would like to discuss the role, please contact Ann Pitkeathly, Recruitment Manager at [email protected]
Applications for this position close on Friday 14 October 2022.