Various Locations NSW/ACT | Full-time | Permanent
The primary objective of the position is to deliver culturally appropriate legal advice, and representation to clients in accordance with the ALS policies, procedures and guidelines in criminal matters, including early intervention and outreach services, community legal education and referrals.
Enjoy coming to work each day with a purpose-driven organisation that makes a real difference.
Expressions of interest are being sought from graduates through to experienced Solicitors wishing to join our NSW or ACT team in the future. The ALS retains a list of suitable candidates to refer to when vacancies occur to assist with fast tracking the recruitment process and to identify top talent for future roles.
About the ALS
Born out of a protest movement, the Aboriginal Legal Service (NSW/ACT) Limited is the primary legal service for Aboriginal people in NSW and the ACT. Our vision is to achieve social justice and equity for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, families and communities.
We offer a diverse, inclusive and supportive work environment. We’re passionate about what we do and we work hard. The ALS values the health and wellbeing of our employees and we are proud to offer flexible work practices. Staff can choose to take advantage of benefits including salary packaging to maximise take-home pay.
What you'll bring to the role
- Knowledge and appreciation of the cultural and social needs of Aboriginal people, combined with continuing respect and support for Aboriginal cultural practices when considering service delivery and other support for clients, their families, communities, and staff
- Proven capacity to identify and understand legal issues facing socially and economically disadvantaged Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders peoples
- Legal qualifications and a current NSW Practising Certificate (or be able to obtain one immediately) as well as demonstrated up-to-date knowledge of the Criminal Law, including practice and procedure
- Excellent written and oral communication skills combined with strong time management, legal research, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to meet deadlines, work autonomously and manage a diverse workload
- A willingness and ability to travel to ALS’s various offices
How to apply
Please submit the completed application package to the ALS HR Team at [email protected]
- If you have any enquiries or would like to discuss the role, please contact the ALS HR Team at [email protected]
Applications for this position close at 5pm on Monday 2 October.