INTERMEDIATE SOLICITOR (EAGP) DUBBO
(Criminal Law Practice)
Full time Fixed Term – through to June 2023
About the role
The primary objective of the position is to deliver of culturally appropriate legal advice, and representation to clients in accordance with the ALS policies, procedures and guidelines in Crime EAGP matters including early intervention and outreach services, community legal education and referrals.
About the ALS
The ALS is a public company limited by guarantee and a registered charity.
We aim to provide culturally appropriate information and referral, legal advice and court representation to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander men, women and children in NSW and ACT.
The ALS is committed to achieving justice for Aboriginal people and the Aboriginal community. The ALS remains committed to being community focussed; being fearless in our advocacy; accountable and ethical and aiming to make a difference to create better futures; while also acknowledging and respecting Aboriginal traditional values and cultural practices.
Benefits of working with us
We offer a diverse, inclusive and supportive work environment, where you can develop and grow. We’re passionate about what we do and we work hard.
The ALS values the health and wellbeing of our employees and we are proud to offer flexible work practices and additional leave entitlements.
Staff can choose to take advantage of benefits including salary packaging to maximise take-home pay.
Major Accountabilities include:
- Develop and maintain stable, productive, professional and collaborative intra-office working relationships between all staff members.
- Ensure high quality ‘culturally appropriate’ representation to ALS clients in all committal matters, and at first instance, promptly deal with any complaints by clients and/or family members.
- Liaise with the Cluster Manager/Managing Solicitor and Deputy Principal Solicitor on any complex committal matters and seek approval to retain Counsel pre-committal.
- Responsible for the resolution of ethical issues/questions in consultation with solicitor in question (and the management where necessary) and for the resolution of conflict issues/determination.
- Responsible for the appropriate referral of clients to the LA NSW and other private practitioners/firms and briefing Counsel (to appear and advise).
- Ensure the lawful achievement of ALS core business objectives to the highest standards of probity and efficiency, and with due reference to the interests of all stakeholders.
- Provide considered, independent, balanced and professional criminal law advice.
What you’ll bring to the role
To be successful in this position you will need to demonstrate:
- Knowledge and appreciation of the cultural and social needs of Aboriginal people combined with continuing respect and support for Aboriginal cultural practices in dealing with clients, their families, communities and staff.
- Legal qualifications and an NSW recognised Practicing Certificate with a minimum of 2 years’ experience in Criminal Law.
- In-depth knowledge of the Criminal Law, including practice and procedure.
- Proven capacity to provide a strong advocacy role in leading the District Court and Committal Practices, along with the Local Court/Children’s Court practice.
- Demonstrated management, supervisory and mentoring skills of a multidisciplinary team of staff.
- Capacity to provide high quality legal representation and advice to Aboriginal people and deal with any complaints by clients and/or family members.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and time management skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines, work without supervision and manage a diverse workload.
- Willingness to drive or fly lengthy distances within the Region and stay overnight or longer to undertake court work or training.
- Demonstrated commitment to the effective implementation of Workplace Health and Safety and Ethical and Diversity practices in the workplace.
How to apply
Please CLICK HERE to download the application package for this position. Please submit the completed application package to Curtis Penning, A/Deputy Principal Solicitor (Regional) at [email protected]
Applications for this position close at midnight, Friday 5 August 2022