SOLICITOR - Grade 1
Care Protection and Family Law Practice
Newcastle Based - Full Time Temp role to 29 October 2021 with strong likelihood of extending into 2022
About The ALS
The ALS aims to provide culturally appropriate information and referral, legal advice and court representation to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander men, women and children in NSW and ACT.
The ALS is committed to achieving justice for Aboriginal people and the Aboriginal community. The ALS remains committed to being community focussed; being fearless in our advocacy; accountable and ethical and aiming to make a difference to create better futures; while also acknowledging and respecting Aboriginal traditional values and cultural practices.
The Aboriginal Legal Service NSW/ACT Limited (ALS) is a public company limited by guarantee and a registered charity.
About the role
This position is based in Newcastle
Primary responsibility is to undertake high quality legal advice and representation to clients, in Care and Protection matters and State Family Law matters that will require travel.
Reporting to the Principal Solicitor, successful candidate will work autonomously, seeking advice and support of the Intermediate Solicitor/Cluster Manager or Managing Solicitor and be responsible for:
- Providing high quality and culturally appropriate legal advice and representation to Aboriginal clients and assisting them in resolving their legal problems and undertaking Court responsibilities
- Providing considered, independent, balanced and professional legal advice including the delivery of early intervention legal services, including advice and non Court assistance to clients
- Conducting an efficient and effective legal practice in Care and Protection matters and Family Law and Child Support Matters, including via an Outreach program as required
- Contributing to the development and review of law reform and policy initiatives as Family Law and Care & Protection issues arise
- Providing an efficient and effective legal service to clients in Care and Protection and Family Law matters, in accordance with legislation and directions, policy, guidelines and practice standards
- Determining applications for merit under delegated authority
- Complying with ALS policies and practice management standards and undertaking all related administrative and case management activities
- Contributing to the development and review of Aboriginal Legal Service procedures and guidelines
- Conducting casework including taking instructions, undertaking research and preparation of documents/submissions
- Providing appropriate referrals to other agencies/services as required
- Utilise the ALS electronic database including the entering of data
Your Skills and Experience
- To be successful in this position you will need to demonstrate:
- Legal qualifications and an NSW Practising Certificate.
- Knowledge of NSW Care and Protection Laws and Family Law.
- Capacity to represent Aboriginal clients and undertake an advocacy role before Courts or Tribunals.
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to provide quality customer service in a high-volume work environment.
- Proven capacity to identify and understand legal issues facing socially and economically disadvantaged Aboriginal peoples.
- Capacity to prepare excellent written communication skills to prepare court documents, correspondence, submissions and other written materials.
- Travel to regional and interstate locations for work purposes.
- Well developed legal research/analytical and statutory interpretation skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines, work without close supervision and to manage a diverse workload.
- Knowledge and experience working with Microsoft Office Suite
HOW TO APPLY
To download a copy of the Application Package please click here
Please submit your application to Brittany Tilden, Regional Administration Coordinator [email protected].
Only candidates with completed application packages will be considered.
Applications for this position close at 5pm Wednesday 21 July 2021.
Aboriginal applicants are encouraged to apply.