Custody Notification Service (CNS) Solicitor x 2 roles
Based in Redfern | Fixed term to June 2023
About the role
The Custody Notification (CNS) Solicitor is primarily responsible within this Service of providing a 24-hour legal advice and support phone line for Aboriginal people taken into police custody. The position holder will:
- Provide legal advice and support over the CNS telephone to persons in custody.
- Assess if the person in custody is facing any self-harm threat or requires any duty of care notification or response.
- Contact the person’s family and/or an Aboriginal Field Officer to ensure parental or family concern for their whereabouts and health are minimised.
- Complete CNS forms and logs.
- Service the CNS phone line for the shifts allocated on weekends and out of hours.
- Assist the local office with Criminal Law representation and appearance matters.
- Provide contact and liaison support to families and respond to identified need for support to the families in a timely manner.
About the ALS
Born out of a protest movement, the Aboriginal Legal Service (NSW/ACT) Limited is the primary legal service for Aboriginal people in NSW and the ACT. Our vision is to achieve social justice and equity for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, families and communities.
What you’ll bring to the role
- Knowledge and appreciation of the cultural and social needs of Aboriginal people combined with continuing respect and support for Aboriginal cultural practices in dealing with clients, their families, communities and staff.
- Legal qualifications and a NSW Practicing Certificate (or be able to obtain one immediately).
- Up-to-date knowledge of the Criminal Law, including practice and procedure.
- Proven capacity to identify and understand legal issues facing socially and economically disadvantaged Aboriginal/Torres Strait Islanders peoples.
- Proven capacity to provide strong client advisory, support and advocacy role and capacity to provide quality legal advice to Aboriginal people in custody.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to generate and log relevant client related information.
- Demonstrated commitment to the effective implementation of Workplace Health & Safety and Ethical and Diversity practices in the workplace.
- Ability to meet deadlines, work without supervision and manage a diverse workload, together with high level conceptual, and analytical skills.
Benefits of working with us
We offer a diverse, inclusive and supportive work environment, where you can develop and grow. We’re passionate about what we do and we work hard.
The ALS values the health and wellbeing of our employees and we are proud to offer flexible work practices and additional leave entitlements.
Staff can choose to take advantage of benefits including salary packaging to maximise take-home pay.
How to apply
Applications for this position close at midnight, Monday 19 September 2022.