SOLICITOR - Intermediate
Coffs Harbour Office
The Aboriginal Legal Service NSW/ACT Limited (ALS) is a public company limited by guarantee and registered charity. It is primarily funded by the Australian Government Attorney-General's department and managed by an Aboriginal Board and governed by the ALS Company. The Company consists of thirty Aboriginal people from NSW and ACT and Company members are elected for three-year terms and represent their community.
The ALS is one of the largest Aboriginal legal practices delivering legal services to Aboriginal people in Australia. With over 200 staff, we provide information and referral, legal advice and court representation in criminal law, family law and care and protection law to Aboriginal men, women and children in 24 offices across urban, regional and remote NSW and ACT
- Primary responsible for managing the committals practice by taking direct carriage of at least 50% of the committal matters arising and allocating the remainder to the junior solicitors
- Manage the District Court (Short Matters) Practice by allocating all District Court short matters
- Prepare and run complex Local Court and Childrens Court hearings and sentence matters and oversee the management of the LC/CC Practice
- Manage the allocation of Local/Childrens Court Circuits to Solicitors and Field Officers
- Supervise and mentor junior solicitors
- Advise Deputy Principal Solicitor of all matters listed for trail in District Courts as soon as possible after the matter is listed and liaise on the allocation of briefs to counsel for all Trials
- Liaise with external stakeholders (Courts/DPP/LAC/CC/DJJ) to ensure the efficient and professional conduct of the committals practice and district court matters, local court and childrens court practice
- Hold regular diary meetings with other solicitors to allocate list work and defended hearings: allocate complex sentence matters, plan diary allocations, ensure the fair and balanced allocation of work to all junior solicitors and oversee all necessary adjustments to the electronic diary
- Perform criminal appearance work as directed covering matters within Local Courts, Children's Courts, District Court and/or Court Circuit travel, namely Forster, Taree and Kempsey
- This Criminal Appearance work will involve the undertaking specific activities including List Work, Sentence Matters, Bail Applications and Defended Hearings;
- Provide considered, independent, balanced and professional criminal law advice;
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of relevant criminal law legislation, case law and court procedures;
- Research, prepare and provide representation for Aboriginal clients in criminal matters and prepare briefs for counsel and attend to instructing counsel.
Your Skills and Expertise
- Knowledge and appreciation of the cultural and social needs of Aboriginal people combined with continuing respect and support for Aboriginal cultural practices in dealing with clients, their families, communities and staff.
- Legal qualifications and a NSW Practising Certificate
- Indepth knowledge of the Criminal Law, including practice and procedure;
- Proven capacity to provide a strong advocacy role in leading the District Court and Committal Practices, along with the LC/CC practice
- Demonstrated supervisory and mentoring skills of a multidisciplinary team of staff
- Capacity and motivation to provide high quality legal representation to Aboriginal people in rural and remote communities;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and time management skills;
- Computer literacy and capacity to generate legal correspondence; and
- Ability to meet deadlines, work without supervision and manage a diverse workload, together with high level conceptual, analytical and research skills.
How to apply
To download the application package & view full job description for this position please click here
Please submit your application to Bianca Hawkins, Administration Coordinator email@example.com.
Only candidates with completed application packages will be considered.
Applications for this position close at 5 pm on Wednesday 23 December 2020.