Sydney or Lismore | Full-time | Permanent role
The Aboriginal Legal Service is offering an exciting opportunity to provide advice and representation to clients in Care & Protection/Family Law including early intervention and outreach services, community legal education and referrals.
This role includes functioning as both a supervisor/mentor to junior solicitors and an advocate simultaneously and provides opportunity to develop your staff management capabilities.
Enjoy coming to work each day with a purpose-driven organisation that makes a real difference.
This role would suit an experienced Solicitor with a sound knowledge of Care & Protection Law.
About the ALS
Born out of a protest movement, the Aboriginal Legal Service (NSW/ACT) Limited is the primary legal service for Aboriginal people in NSW and the ACT. Our vision is to achieve social justice and equity for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, families and communities.
We offer a diverse, inclusive and supportive work environment. We’re passionate about what we do and we work hard. The ALS values the health and wellbeing of our employees and we are proud to offer flexible work practices. Staff can choose to take advantage of benefits including salary packaging to maximise take-home pay.
About the role
The primary objective of the Senior Solicitor (Care & Protection) role is to deliver culturally appropriate legal advice, and representation to clients in accordance with the ALS policies, procedures and guidelines in Care & Protection/Family Law including early intervention and outreach services, community legal education and referrals.
The position requires commitment and dedication; a very high level of professionalism and legal acumen; a prodigious aptitude for attention to detail; and a capacity and willingness to function as both a supervisor/mentor to junior solicitors and advocate simultaneously, whilst serving Aboriginal clients.
This role can operate from either Sydney or Lismore ALS locations.
Your skills and experience
- Knowledge and appreciation of the cultural and social needs of Aboriginal communities combined with continuing respect and support for Aboriginal cultural practices when considering service delivery and other support for clients, their families, communities and staff
- Appropriate legal qualifications and a current NSW Practicing Certificate
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience representing clients in Care & Protection areas of law
- Demonstrated sound commitment to the principles of social justice
- In-depth knowledge, understanding and of Care & Protection legal area, including current/ contemporary practice and procedure
- Excellent written and oral communication skills combined with strong time management, legal research and problem-solving skills
- Ability to mentor and supervise solicitors
- Ability to work autonomously and in a team environment, applying sound judgement, meeting conflicting deadlines and managing a demanding workload
- Ability to display sound judgment and proven capacity to provide high quality legal representation and advice to Aboriginal clients
- Ability to meet deadlines, work without supervision and manage a diverse workload, together with high level conceptual, analytical and research skills
- Highly developed interpersonal and influencing skills and excellent oral and written communication skills
- A willingness and ability to travel to regional, metropolitan and interstate locations for work purposes
How to apply
Please submit the completed application package to Ann Pitkeathly, Recruitment Manager at [email protected]
- If you have any enquiries or would like to discuss the role, please contact Louise Coady, Principal Solicitor (Care & Protection/ Family Law) at [email protected]
Applications for this position close on Friday 18 November.