Redfern | Full-time | Fixed-term, to early November 2023
The Aboriginal Legal Service is offering an exciting opportunity to liaise with external stakeholders, represent and advocate on behalf of Aboriginal youth in legal matters. Enjoy coming to work each day with a purpose-driven organisation that makes a real difference.
This role would suit an Intermediate Criminal Law Solicitor with a passion for social justice for youth and negotiation skills to assist them in resolving criminal and other law issues.
About the ALS
Born out of a protest movement, the Aboriginal Legal Service (NSW/ACT) Limited is the primary legal service for Aboriginal people in NSW and the ACT. Our vision is to achieve social justice and equity for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, families and communities.
We offer a diverse, inclusive and supportive work environment. We’re passionate about what we do and we work hard. The ALS values the health and wellbeing of our employees and we are proud to offer flexible work practices. Staff can choose to take advantage of benefits including salary packaging to maximise take-home pay.
About the role
The purpose of the Solicitor, Youth Koori Court (YKC) based at Redfern Office is to:
- Ensure high quality, culturally appropriate representation to ALS clients in all matters, and at first instance, promptly deal with any complaints by clients and/or family members
- Appear in the Youth Koori Court/ Children’s Court, including preparation, liaising with stakeholders, advocacy and on sentence
- Attend and participate in Youth Koori Court stakeholder meetings and working groups as a representative of the ALS
- Foster collaborative relationships with Elders and Respected Members, local Aboriginal organisations, key external and internal Youth Koori Court stakeholders, service provider and communities
Your skills and experience
- Knowledge and appreciation of the cultural and social needs of Aboriginal people combined with continuing respect and support for Aboriginal cultural practices when considering service delivery and other support for clients, their families, communities and employees
- Legal qualifications and a NSW Practicing Certificate; minimum of 2 years experience in Criminal Law
- In-depth knowledge of the Criminal Law, including practice and procedure
- In-depth knowledge and appreciation of the policy, procedure and operation of the YKC
- Experience in the YKC or demonstrated capacity to undertake the role of YKC solicitor
- Demonstrated management, supervisory and mentoring skills of a multidisciplinary team of staff
- Capacity to provide high quality legal representation and advice to Aboriginal people and deal with any complaints by clients and/or family members
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and time management skills
- Ability to meet deadlines, work without supervision and manage a diverse workload
How to apply
Please submit the completed application package to Nidal Abdi, Acting Deputy Principal Solicitor at [email protected]
Applications for this position close extended to Monday 30 January 2023.