Redfern | Full-time | Fixed-term (to June 2025)
The Aboriginal Legal Service is offering an exciting opportunity to provide high quality advice, assistance and representation to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people as part of its emerging civil law practice.
This role would suit a civil solicitor with a minimum of 2 years' experience, and knowledge of relevant law and legal procedure as it relates to sexual harassment, employment issues, discrimination in the workplace and other common civil law matters.
About the ALS
Born out of a protest movement, the Aboriginal Legal Service (NSW/ACT) Limited is the primary legal service for Aboriginal people in NSW and the ACT. Our vision is to achieve social justice and equity for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, families and communities.
We offer a diverse, inclusive and supportive work environment. We’re passionate about what we do and we work hard. The ALS values the health and wellbeing of our employees and we are proud to offer flexible work practices. Staff can choose to take advantage of benefits including salary packaging to maximise take-home pay.
About the role
The purpose of this role is to provide high quality advice, discrete assistance and representation services to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in a range of matters arising from sexual harassment in the workplace, and other civil matters as required.
The civil law practice is an emerging practice within the ALS. Its services will address sexual harassment, employment and anti-discrimination issues; civil law issues that intersect with care, family and criminal matters; and incorporate existing civil law services within the organisation, such as fines work.
Please refer to the Position Description in the Application Package for more details.
Your skills and experience
- Knowledge and appreciation of the cultural and social needs of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people combined with continuing respect and support for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural practices in dealing with clients, their families, communities and staff
- Legal qualifications and a current Practicing Certificate issued by the Law Society of NSW
- Minimum 2 years’ experience providing civil law advice, assistance and representation
- Experience working in the areas of employment and/or discrimination law (desirable but not essential)
- Knowledge of relevant law and legal procedure as it relates to sexual harassment, employment issues, discrimination in the workplace and other common civil law matters
- Capacity to represent and advocate for clients before courts, tribunals and in other forums
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Collaborative style and the ability to identify and solve problems
- Current NSW driver’s license with the ability to travel
- Ability to adapt to change and work in a start-up environment
Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander candidates are encouraged to apply.
How to apply
Please submit the completed application package to Rebekah Woodward, Recruitment Manager (New Programs) at [email protected]
- If you have any enquiries or would like to discuss the role, please contact Rebekah Woodward, Recruitment Manager (New Programs) at [email protected] or 02 6120 8815
Applications for this position close EOD on Tuesday 23 May 2023.