Parramatta or Redfern | Full-time | Fixed term to June 2023, with opportunity for extension
The Aboriginal Legal Service is offering an exciting opportunity to demonstrate your advocacy skills in providing culturally appropriate legal advice, and representation to clients. Enjoy coming to work each day with a purpose-driven organisation that makes a real difference.
This role would suit a qualified solicitor seeking to build their cultural capabilities and actively contribute to social justice for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
About the ALS
Born out of a protest movement, the Aboriginal Legal Service (NSW/ACT) Limited is the primary legal service for Aboriginal people in NSW and the ACT. Our vision is to achieve social justice and equity for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, families and communities.
We offer a diverse, accepting and supportive work environment. We’re passionate about what we do and we work hard. The ALS values the health and wellbeing of our employees and we are proud to offer flexible work practices.
About the role
The Solicitor - Care and Protection will be responsible for:
- Contributing to the development and review of law reform and policy initiatives as Family Law and Care & Protection issues arise.
- Providing legal advice, minor assistance and duty solicitor services to Aboriginal clients.
- Representing clients, including appearing for clients, instructing counsel when necessary and participating, as appropriate, in dispute resolution including negotiating early resolution of litigation.
- Conducting casework including taking instructions, undertaking research and preparation of documents/submissions.
- Providing appropriate referrals to other agencies/services as required.
- Providing an efficient and effective legal service to clients in Care and Protection and Family Law matters, in accordance with legislation and directions, policy, guidelines and practice standards
- The delivery of early intervention legal services including advice and non-court assistance to clients.
- Conducting an efficient and effective legal practice in Care and Protection matters and Family Law and Child Support Matters, including via an Outreach program as required.
- Determining applications for merit under delegated authority.
- Contributing to the development and review of Aboriginal Legal Service procedures and guidelines.
Your skills and experience
- Cultural competence; and knowledge and understanding of the issues facing Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in the legal system
- Legal qualifications and an NSW Practising Certificate.
- Knowledge of NSW Care and Protection Laws and Family Law.
- Capacity to represent Aboriginal clients and undertake an advocacy role before Courts or Tribunals.
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to provide quality customer service in a high-volume work environment.
- Proven capacity to identify and understand legal issues facing socially and economically disadvantaged Aboriginal peoples.
- Capacity to prepare excellent written communication skills to prepare court documents, correspondence, submissions and other written materials.
- Well-developed legal research/analytical and statutory interpretation skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines, work without close supervision and to manage a diverse workload.
- Knowledge and experience working with Microsoft Office Suite
- Current valid unrestricted NSW Driver’s licence and a willingness to drive in metropolitan and country locations, travel intrastate and stay overnight or longer.
How to apply
Please CLICK HERE to download the application package for this position.
Please submit the completed application package to Mary Day, Regional Administration Coordinator [email protected]
Applications for this position close at 5pm Monday 12 September 2022.
- If you have any enquiries or would like to discuss the role, please contact Mary Day, Regional Administration Coordinator [email protected]