SOLICITOR Grade 4 (Senior) – Care & Protection/Family Law Practice
Full-time, temp role to 29 October 2021, with strong likelihood of further extensions: Parramatta OR Redfern based
About The ALS
The ALS aims to provide culturally appropriate information and referral, legal advice and court representation to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander men, women and children in NSW and ACT.
The ALS is committed to achieving justice for Aboriginal people and the Aboriginal community. The ALS remains committed to being community focussed; being fearless in our advocacy; accountable and ethical and aiming to make a difference to create better futures; while also acknowledging and respecting Aboriginal traditional values and cultural practices.
The Aboriginal Legal Service NSW/ACT Limited (ALS) is a public company limited by guarantee and a registered charity.
About the role
This position primarily services Sydney region and could be based in Parramatta or newly refurbished offices in Redfern
Working autonomously, seeking the advice and support of the supervising Principal Legal Officer, or their delegate, as required and consulting with senior colleagues before determining applications for merit in complex matters. The position holder must have the capacity and willingness to function as both a supervisor/mentor and advocate simultaneously, whilst serving delivering culturally appropriate legal advice to ALS clients.
- Providing high quality and culturally appropriate legal advice and representation to Aboriginal clients and assisting them in resolving their legal problems and undertaking Court responsibilities
- Providing considered, independent, balanced and professional legal advice
- Communicating with, taking instructions from, and effectively representing Aboriginal clients who may present as distressed, when the legal concepts involved are complex and difficult for the client to understand
- Researching, preparing, and providing representation for Aboriginal clients in complex legal matters and prepare briefs for counsel and attend to instructing counsel
- Mentoring and guiding junior solicitors regarding law, procedure and the operations of the ALS
- Supporting other solicitors by acting as a source of specialist advice
- Assisting in arranging or providing continuing legal education for more junior solicitors
Your Skills and Experience
To be successful in this position you will need to demonstrate:
- Knowledge and appreciation of the cultural and social needs of Aboriginal communities combined with continuing respect and support for Aboriginal cultural practices when considering service delivery and other support for clients, their families, communities and staff
- Appropriate legal qualifications and a current Practicing Certificate
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience representing clients in the relevant area of law
- Commitment to the principles of social justice
- In-depth knowledge, understanding and of relevant area, including practice and procedure
- Excellent written and oral communication skills combined with strong time management, legal research and problem-solving skills
- Ability to mentor and supervise solicitors
- Ability to work autonomously and in a team environment, applying sound judgement, meeting conflicting deadlines and managing a demanding workload
- Ability to display sound judgment and proven capacity to provide high quality legal representation and advice to Aboriginal clients
- Ability to meet deadlines, work without supervision and manage a diverse workload, together with high level conceptual, analytical and research skills.
- Highly developed interpersonal and influencing skills and excellent oral and written communication skills
- A willingness and ability to travel to regional, metropolitan and interstate locations for work purposes
How to apply
To download application package please click here
Please submit your application to Brittany Tilden, Regional Administration Coordinator [email protected].
Only candidates with completed application packages will be considered.
Applications for this position close at 5 pm on Monday 28 June 2021.
Aboriginal applicants are encouraged to apply.