Administration Officer - Redfern
Full time Permanent role
Criminal Law Practice
This is an Aboriginal/Torres Strait Islander identified position which is a genuine occupational qualification and is authorised under section 14(d) of the Anti-Discrimination Act 1977.
The primary responsibility of the Administration Officer is to provide confidential administrative support to assist in the delivery of high-quality legal services for Aboriginal clients.
The position holder may also manage, or assists in the management of, the reception area operating the office phone system between the hours of 9.00 am to 5.00 pm.
The position reports to the Managing Solicitor or their delegate.
The position will work collaboratively with colleagues to build a collaborative, productive and positive team and office environment.
The ALS aims to provide culturally appropriate information and referral, legal advice and court representation to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander men, women and children in NSW and ACT.
The ALS is committed to achieving justice for Aboriginal people and the Aboriginal community. The ALS remains committed to being community focused; being fearless in our advocacy; accountable and ethical and aiming to make a difference to create better futures; while also acknowledging and respecting Aboriginal traditional values and cultural practices.
The Aboriginal Legal Service NSW/ACT Limited (ALS) is a public company limited by guarantee and a registered charity.
Internal: The position holder will liaise closely with the Regional Administration Co-ordinator and their Managing Solicitor. They will also interact, liaise with and support other work colleagues.
External: The position holder will have contact with clients, legal professionals including; Solicitors, Court Staff, Corrective Services, Department of Communities and Justice Staff and other stakeholders.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Perform responsibilities to a high standard within agreed timelines and in line with ALS vision, mission and values.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting in the delivery of professional and culturally appropriate legal services to clients within the legal system, understanding the expectations of clients, their families and the broader Aboriginal community
- Maintaining confidentiality
- Ensuring systems and processes are in place to effectively balance the requirements of a busy and challenging workload
- Maintaining files in an orderly and professional manner, including the recording of all data for statistical purposes
- Inputting, updating and maintaining statistical data using appropriate databases and systems including; opening, closing, and archiving files and other general data entry
- Utilising systems and technology which have a significant impact on the legal practice; including adapting to new, and enhancing the use of current, systems and technology
- Acting as the first point of contact for clients, assisting with communication between solicitors, clients and external stakeholders
- Managing, or assisting with the management of, the reception area and operating the office phone system during office hours
- Providing secretarial support services to Solicitors
- Providing word processing support for correspondence, preparation of briefs of evidence, subpoenas, affidavits, court reports and other documents (using Microsoft Office Suite)
- Maintaining the court attendance board/roster and court diary on a daily basis
- Organising client files for the upcoming week’s court dates
- Providing general administrative support such as scanning, photocopying, document collation, recording and filing communications, filing and document services and other administrative duties as required
- Assisting clients with non-court matters and referrals
- Monitoring and reporting maintenance requirements of office equipment, and maintaining a well presented and professional office environment
- Working collaboratively as a team member with other employees, volunteers and others to effectively coordinate office and team support services
- Ensuring the lawful achievement of ALS core business objectives to the highest standards of probity and efficiency, and with due reference to the interests of all stakeholders
- Maintaining and enhancing professional competence, changes in ALS policies, systems, guidelines, practices and community needs
- Demonstrating continuing respect and support for Aboriginal cultural practices in servicing clients, their families, communities, directors and staff.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
To be successful in this position you will need to demonstrate:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander; identify as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person and accepted as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person in the community in which he or she lives
- Knowledge and appreciation of the cultural and social needs of Aboriginal communities combined with continuing respect and support for Aboriginal cultural practices when considering service delivery and other support for clients, their families, communities and staff
- Commitment to the principles of social justice
- Excellent word processing skills, and computer skills, using Microsoft Office Suite, Video Conferencing software and other systems and programs
- Typing skills with a minimum of 35 words per minute
- Excellent communication skills, respectful phone manner and experience in operating a small to medium switchboard
- Demonstrated organisational and time management skills and the ability to multi-task
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality and work independently in a team environment with limited supervision
- A willingness and ability to travel to regional, metropolitan and interstate locations for work purposes
- Previous experience working in an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community-based organisation
- Previous experience working in a legal practice
How to apply
To download a copy of the Application Package for this position please click here
Please submit your application to Sheri Misaghi, Regional Administration Coordinator [email protected].
Only candidates with completed application packages will be considered.
Applications for this position close at 5pm on Wednesday 16 February 2022