ADMINISTRATION OFFICER/LEGAL SECRETARY
Care Protection and Family Law Practice - Parramatta
Full time, fixed term to January 2023
This is an Aboriginal/Torres Strait Islander identified position which is a genuine occupational qualification and is authorised under section 14(d) of the Anti-Discrimination Act 1977.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The primary responsibility of the Administration Officer/Legal Secretary is to provide confidential administrative support to assist in the delivery of high-quality legal services for Aboriginal clients.
Key responsibilities include:
- Assisting in the delivery of professional and culturally appropriate legal services to clients within the legal system, understanding the expectations of clients, their families, and the broader Aboriginal community
- Maintaining confidentiality
- Ensuring systems and processes are in place to effectively balance the requirements of a busy and challenging workload
- Managing, or assisting with the management of, the reception area and operating the office phone system during office hours
- Acting as the first point of contact for clients, assisting with communication between solicitors, clients, and external stakeholders
- Providing secretarial support services to Solicitors
- Providing word processing support for correspondence, preparation of briefs of evidence, subpoenas, affidavits, court reports and other documents (using Microsoft Office Suite)
- Maintaining files in an orderly and professional manner, including the recording of all data for statistical purposes
- Inputting, updating, and maintaining statistical data using appropriate databases and systems including opening, closing, and archiving files and other general data entry
- Utilising systems and technology which have a significant impact on the legal practice, including adapting to new, and enhancing the use of current, systems and technology
ABOUT THE ALS
Born out of a protest movement, the Aboriginal Legal Service (NSW/ACT) Limited is the primary legal service for Aboriginal people in NSW and the ACT. Our vision is to achieve social justice and equity for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, families and communities.
We offer a diverse, inclusive and supportive work environment. We’re passionate about what we do and we work hard. The ALS values the health and wellbeing of our employees and we are proud to offer flexible work practices. Staff can choose to take advantage of benefits including salary packaging to maximise take-home pay.
The Care Protection and Family Law practice is a holistic service providing legal representation, advice, casework assistance and referrals to Aboriginal families impacted or affected by family violence and contact with the child protection system. The practice also seeks to provide early support around intervention and community education around alternative pathways to ensure children are not removed from families and communities.
WHAT YOU WILL BRING TO THE ROLE
To be successful in this position you will need to demonstrate:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander; identify as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person and accepted as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person in the community in which he or she lives
- Knowledge and appreciation of the cultural and social needs of Aboriginal communities combined with continuing respect and support for Aboriginal cultural practices when considering service delivery and other support for clients, their families, communities, and staff
- Commitment to the principles of social justice
- Excellent word processing skills, and computer skills, using Microsoft Office Suite, Video Conferencing software and other systems and programs
- Typing skills with a minimum of 35 words per minute
- Excellent communication skills, respectful phone manner and experience in operating a small to medium switchboard
- Demonstrated organisational and time management skills and the ability to multi-task
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality and work independently in a team environment with limited supervision
- A willingness and ability to travel to regional, metropolitan, and interstate locations for work purposes
HOW TO APPLY
Please CLICK HERE to download a copy of the ALS Application Package for this role. Submit your application to Mary Day (Regional Administration Coordinator) at [email protected]. Only candidates with completed application packages will be considered.
Applications for this position close at 5pm on Friday 26 August 2022.