Newcastle, NSW | Part-time | Permanent
Primary Purpose of the Role
The Aboriginal Legal Service is offering an exciting opportunity for a Paralegal to join our Care & Protection/Family Law Practice in Newcastle, NSW. Enjoy coming to work each day with a purpose-driven organisation that makes a real difference.
Why Join the ALS NSW/ACT team?
At Aboriginal Legal Services NSW/ACT you will make an impactful change. You have the chance to change lives and bring social justice and equity for the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, families and communities.
Our focus is our people; the people we support, and the team we employ. We offer a career you can be proud of and a place where you feel safe to be yourself. We invest in our workforce and appreciate the rich diversity they represent of life experience, languages, and culture.
Born out of a protest movement over 50 years ago, the Aboriginal Legal Service (NSW/ACT) Limited is the primary legal service for Aboriginal people in NSW and the ACT. It’s an exciting time for the ALS, with both our services and teams growing significantly. We recently received additional government funding to deliver a range of new programs aimed at addressing systemic issues and driving structural reforms. This is creating unprecedented opportunities for the ALS and our communities.
For many of our staff making a real difference to the lives of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, families and communities and working with a great, supportive team is its own reward.
We appreciate that, but we want our team to know that we value them so offer benefits such as:
- Salary packaging options and novated car leasing
- Annual Leave Loading of 17.5%
- Career and professional development opportunities
- Access to personal counselling for you and your family
- A range of additional paid leave, paid parental and study leave
- Flexible work options – talk to us about how we can make this role work for you
The primary responsibility of the Paralegal, Care & Protection/ Family Law practice is to assist in the delivery of high-quality legal support services to Aboriginal clients.
The position holder will be responsible for:
- Researching legal matters and client histories
- Organisation of client files as directed
- Input of statistical data into CMS database
- Administrative duties as required, and
- Liaise with professionals, including Child Protection staff, Solicitors, Court Staff, and other staff members.
- Formal paralegal qualifications, or currently undertaking a Law Degree
- Knowledge and understanding of issues facing Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people involved in the care and protection system
- In depth knowledge of support and referral services available to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander clients involved in the Care and Protection and/or Family Law system
- Excellent research and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills, including report writing
- Self-motivated with ability to work with minimal supervision and a willingness to complete administrative tasks
- Proven experience with Microsoft Suite computer skills, video-conferencing software
ALS NSW/ACT is committed to implementing safer recruitment practices. Your application may be subject to a number of pre-employment checks such as Reference Checks, Working with Children (NSW) or Working with Vulnerable People (ACT) check, Right to work in Australia, COVID-19 vaccinations as per NSW/ACT Health Order and Police check.
Please note that candidates with criminal records are not automatically barred from being considered. Each application will be considered on its merits
How to apply
Download the position description here
Please submit your cover letter and resume to [email protected]
Applications for this position close at 11:59pm, Friday 24 November 2023.
Please apply promptly, as we may shortlist and commence interviews within the advertising period.