Paralegal Care & Protection/Family Law
Wollongong (0.6 FTE)
The Aboriginal Legal Service NSW/ACT Limited (ALS) is a public company limited by guarantee and registered charity. It is primarily funded by the Australian Government Attorney-General's department and managed by an Aboriginal Board and governed by the ALS Company. The Company consists of thirty Aboriginal people from NSW and ACT and Company members are elected for three-year terms and represent their community.
The ALS is one of the largest Aboriginal legal practices delivering legal services to Aboriginal people in Australia. With over 200 staff, we provide information and referral, legal advice and court representation in criminal law, family law and care and protection law to Aboriginal men, women and children in 24 offices across urban, regional and remote NSW and ACT.
The primary responsibility of the Paralegal, Care & Protection/Family Law Practice is to provide effective administrative support services within the Care & Protection/Family Law Practice to ensure the delivery of culturally appropriate legal advice, including early intervention and outreach services, representation, community legal education primarily in family law matters.
The administrative support services to be provided by the position holder will include:
- Providing and coordinating a high level of complex paralegal support for solicitors in Care and Protection / Family Law Litigation
- Liaising with solicitors and staff within the Practice to assist in the allocation of work and management of individual caseloads, including attending to tasks allocated via email referral system.
- Assist solicitors at Court in appropriate cases, including note taking.
- Obtain supporting documentation and draft documents required by solicitors for the preparation of hearings in accordance with minimum practice standards. Assist in gathering supporting documentation from and completing file reviews for non-litigation clients, as required;
- Assist in researching matters of law or undertaking case reviews for solicitors, as required.
- Assist in client interviews, and drafting of Affidavit and other court documents, as and where required.
- Ensuring all files are kept up to date on the shared database;
Your Skills and Expertise
- Formal paralegal qualifications, or currently undertaking a Law Degree.
- Knowledge and understanding of issues facing Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people involved in the care and protection system.
- In depth knowledge of support and referral services available to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander clients involved in the Care and Protection system.
How to Apply
To download an application package for this position please click here
Please submit your application to Brittany Tilden Regional Administration Coordinator at email@example.com
Only candidates with completed application packages will be considered.
Applications for this position close at 5:00 pm on Monday, 23 November 2020
Aboriginal applicants are encouraged to apply.