Newcastle | Part-time | Permanent
The Aboriginal Legal Service is offering an exciting opportunity to research and provide administrative support our Care & Protection/ Family law Solicitors and team, to achieve social justice for Aboriginal clients. Enjoy coming to work each day with a purpose-driven organisation that makes a real difference.
This role would suit a qualified Paralegal, or current Law student with work availability up to 3 days per week.
About the ALS
Born out of a protest movement, the Aboriginal Legal Service (NSW/ACT) Limited is the primary legal service for Aboriginal people in NSW and the ACT. Our vision is to achieve social justice and equity for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, families and communities.
We offer a diverse, inclusive and supportive work environment. We’re passionate about what we do and we work hard. The ALS values the health and wellbeing of our employees and we are proud to offer flexible work practices. Staff can choose to take advantage of benefits including salary packaging to maximise take-home pay.
About the role
The primary responsibility of the Paralegal, Care & Protection/ Family Law practice is to assist in the delivery of high-quality legal support services to Aboriginal clients.
The position holder will be responsible for: researching legal matters and client histories; organisation of client files as directed; input of statistical data into CMS database, administrative duties as required, and liaise with professionals, including Child Protection staff, Solicitors, Court Staff, and other staff members.
Your skills and experience
- Formal paralegal qualifications, or currently undertaking a Law Degree
- Knowledge and understanding of issues facing Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people involved in the care and protection system
- In depth knowledge of support and referral services available to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander clients involved in the Care and Protection and/or Family Law system
- Excellent research and problem-solving skills
- Self-motivated with ability to work with minimal supervision and a willingness to complete administrative tasks
- Proven experience with Microsoft Suite computer skills, video-conferencing software
How to apply
Please submit the completed application package to Ann Pitkeathly, Recruitment Manager at [email protected]
- If you have any enquiries or would like to discuss the role, please contact Mary Day, Regional Administration Coordinator at [email protected]
Please apply promptly, as we may shortlist and interview within the vacancy peripd.
Applications for this position close at COB Friday 9 June 2023.