SOLICITOR Grade 3 (Intermediate) Bushfire funding
Care & Protection and Family Law Practice
Full-time, Temporary role (29 October 2021)– Nowra with strong likelihood of extension
About The ALS
The ALS aims to provide culturally appropriate information and referral, legal advice and court representation to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander men, women and children in NSW and ACT.
The ALS is committed to achieving justice for Aboriginal people and the Aboriginal community. The ALS remains committed to being community focussed; being fearless in our advocacy; accountable and ethical and aiming to make a difference to create better futures; while also acknowledging and respecting Aboriginal traditional values and cultural practices.
The Aboriginal Legal Service NSW/ACT Limited (ALS) is a public company limited by guarantee and a registered charity.
About the role - Nowra based
Working under the supervision of the Principal Legal Officer, or their delegate, this position seeks advice and support on a regular basis consulting with them before determining legal issues in complex matters.
The position requires a great deal of dedication; a very high level of professionalism and legal acumen; a prodigious aptitude for attention to detail; and a capacity and willingness to function as both a mentor and/or supervisor, and advocate simultaneously (where appropriate and directed) whilst serving Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander clients.
- Providing high quality and culturally appropriate legal advice and representation to Aboriginal clients and assisting them in resolving their legal problems and undertaking Court responsibilities
- Providing considered, independent, balanced and professional legal advice
- Researching, preparing, and providing representation for Aboriginal clients in legal matters and preparing briefs for counsel and attend to instructing counsel
- Communicating with, taking instructions from, and effectively representing Aboriginal clients in court who may present as distressed, when the legal concepts involved may be complex and difficult for the client to understand, or when the circumstances of the legal matter and possible result could lead to separation from family
- Liaising with external stakeholders to ensure the efficient and professional conduct legal matters
- Where directed and appropriate, supervising and mentoring junior solicitors with the conduct of their matters
- Where directed and appropriate, this position may assist with policy development activities
Your Skills and Experience
To be successful in this position you will need to demonstrate:
- Knowledge and appreciation of the cultural and social needs of Aboriginal communities combined with continuing respect and support for Aboriginal cultural practices when considering service delivery and other support for clients, their families, communities and staff
- Legal qualifications and a current Practising Certificate with a minimum of 2 years’ experience in court advocacy in the relevant area of practice
- Commitment to the principles of social justice
- In-depth knowledge of the relevant area of law, including practice and procedure
- Ability to provide high quality legal representation
- Excellent written and oral communication skills combined with strong time management, legal research and problem-solving skills
- Ability to meet deadlines, and manage a diverse workload
- Excellent analytical and research skills
- Knowledge and experience working with Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to work autonomously and in a team environment, applying sound judgement
- A willingness and ability to travel to regional, metropolitan and interstate locations for work purposes
- Demonstrated ability to supervise and mentor others
How to apply
To download a copy of the Application Package please click here
Please submit your application to Brittany Tilden, Regional Administration Coordinator [email protected].
Only candidates with completed application packages will be considered.
Applications for this position close at 5 pm on 28 June 2021.
Aboriginal applicants are encouraged to apply.