MANAGING SOLICITOR - Care & Protection, Parramatta
Care & Protection/Family Law Practice
About The ALS
The ALS aims to provide culturally appropriate information and referral, legal advice and court representation to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander men, women and children in NSW and ACT.
The ALS is committed to achieving justice for Aboriginal people and the Aboriginal community. The ALS remains committed to being community focussed; being fearless in our advocacy; accountable and ethical and aiming to make a difference to create better futures; while also acknowledging and respecting Aboriginal traditional values and cultural practices.
The Aboriginal Legal Service NSW/ACT Limited (ALS) is a public company limited by guarantee and a registered charity.
About the role
Support the Principal Solicitor, Care & Protection/Family Law Practice in the delivery of culturally appropriate legal advice, including early intervention and outreach services, representation, community legal education primarily in care and protection matters. You would assist in the management of staff and resources within the Practice, the allocation of work and workloads, the provision of legal advice and representation to clients in care & protection matters and the implementation of ALS policies and procedures for these services. You would oversee the representaton of Aboriginal clients before the care & protection system in the Children's, District and Supreme Courts and other courts or tribunals.
Challenges faced by the position are :
- Meeting the demand to deliver adequate and culturally appropriate care & protection services
- Prioritising service provision commensurate with available resources and within time constraints
- Identifying factors contributing towards lack of appropriate legal representation for Aboriginal communities and stakeholders
- Improving communication barriers between parties to improve outcomes for children and young people
- Managing a diverse workforce within the care & protection law team
- Knowledge and appreciation of the cultural and social needs of Aboriginal people combined with continuing respect and support for Aboriginal cultural practices in dealing with clients, their families, communities and staff.
- Admitted as a legal practitioner of the Supreme Court of New South Wales with a practising certificate or eligible for a practising certificate with up to 6 years of demonstrated experience in the relevant fields of law.
- Proven ability to manage the day to day activities of a Care & Protection /Family Law Practice office at various locations including the supervision of staff, the allocation of work, and management of workloads and regular review of performance.
- Demonstrated knowledge, experience and understanding of relevant care & protection legislation, case law and court proceedings and ability to effectively represent and advocate for Aboriginal clients;
- Demonstrated excellence in consultation, interpersonal, influencing, motivational, negotiation and conflict resolution skills, combined with strong people management skills and excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines, work without supervision and manage a diverse workload.
- Demonstrated commitment to the effective implementation of Workplace Health & Safety and Ethical and Diversity practices in the workplace.
- Perform other duties as deemed appropriate and as delegated by the Principal Solicitor.
- Current valid unrestricted NSW Driver’s licence and a willingness to drive in metropolitan and country locations
How to apply
To download the application package for this position please click here
Please submit your completed application to Brittany Tilden, Regional Administration Coordinator [email protected]
Applications for this position close at 5:00 pm Monday 21 June 2021