Parramatta | Full-time | Permanent
The Aboriginal Legal Service is offering an exciting opportunity to lead and develop our Criminal Law team and support staff based out of Parramatta. Enjoy coming to work each day with a purpose-driven organisation that makes a real difference.
This role would suit an experienced Criminal Lawyer and advocate with interest to expand their management and leadership capabilities.
About the ALS
Born out of a protest movement, the Aboriginal Legal Service (NSW/ACT) Limited is the primary legal service for Aboriginal people in NSW and the ACT. Our vision is to achieve social justice and equity for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, families and communities.
We offer a diverse, inclusive and supportive work environment. We’re passionate about what we do and we work hard. The ALS values the health and wellbeing of our employees and we are proud to offer flexible work practices. Staff can choose to take advantage of benefits including salary packaging to maximise take-home pay.
About the role
Key accountabilties in the role include:
- Support the Deputy Principal Solicitor with the efficient delivery of legal services within the relevant cluster location
- Assist with the management, development and supervision of professional and administrative staff
- Allocation of work and management of workloads including the briefing/ process to external legal representatives; diary and schedule coordination to provide legal representation services in Local Courts, District Courts and Children’s courts
- Support the implementation of policy and strategies to improve the provision of legal services to clients of the ALS
- Assist or conduct recruitment and evaluation of staff and volunteers; manage their induction, training, supervision and professional development
- Convene regular staff meetings and CLE seminars/ career development opportunities to improve staff retention
- Conduct complicated legal matters including committals, District and Supreme Court appearances in all nominated jurisdictions
- Participate in community education programs and liaise with community members and key stakeholder groups to create opportunities to increase the ALS profile
Your skills and experience
- Knowledge and appreciation of the cultural and social needs of Aboriginal people combined with continuing respect and support for Aboriginal cultural practices when considering service delivery and other support for clients, their families, communities and employees
- Possession of a current Practising Certificate issued by the Law Society of NSW with 3+ years of demonstrated experience in the application of criminal and representation law
- Proven ability to manage the day to day activities of a legal service office including the supervision of staff, the allocation of work, and management of workloads and regular reviews of performance
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in legal representation for Aboriginal clients in criminal matters and capacity to brief and instruct Counsel
- Knowledge and understanding of relevant criminal law legislation, case law and court proceedings to effectively represent and advocate for Aboriginal clients
- Demonstrated excellence in consultation, interpersonal, influencing, motivational, negotiation and conflict resolution skills, combined with strong people management skills and excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to meet deadlines, work without supervision and manage a diverse workload
How to apply
Please submit the completed application package to Francesca Cavadini, Acting Deputy Principal Solicitor (Coastal) at E: [email protected]
- If you have any enquiries or would like to discuss the role, please contact Francesca Cavadini, Acting Deputy Principal Solicitor (Coastal) at E: [email protected]
Please apply promptly, we may shortlist and interview within the vacancy period.
Applications for this position close on Friday 31 March 2023.