Manager, Moree Justice Reinvestment
This is an Aboriginal/Torres Strait Islander identified position which is a genuine occupational qualification and is authorized under section 14(d) of the Anti-Discrimination Act 1977.
COVID-19 (double) vaccination is a condition of employment at the ALS.
About the ALS
The Aboriginal Legal Service (NSW/ACT) Limited (ALS) is a proud Aboriginal community-controlled organisation. As Australia’s first community legal service provider, we’ve been fighting for justice and equity for over 50 years.
About Justice Reinvestment Network Australia
Justice Reinvestment Network Australia (JRNA) is a group of research and policy colleagues and community leaders from around Australia working with and advocating for justice reinvestment (or ‘JR’), particularly for its implementation in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities. JRNA was established in 2015 to share knowledge and create a community of practice around JR to strengthen the JR evidence base, support communities working with JR and promote JR nationally.
Benefits of working with us
We offer a diverse, inclusive and supportive work environment, where you can develop and grow. We’re passionate about what we do and we work hard.
The ALS values the health and wellbeing of our employees and we are proud to offer flexible work practices and additional leave entitlements.
Staff can choose to take advantage of benefits including salary packaging to maximise take-home pay.
About the role
The Manager, Moree/Mt Druitt Justice Reinvestment is to support the ongoing delivery and enhancement of the justice reinvestment initiative in Moree.
This will include building an understanding of justice reinvestment, supporting local capability building and leadership, supporting community collaboration and data-driven decision making, and leading and managing site-based team.
Perform responsibilities to a high standard within agreed timelines and in line with Just Reinvest NSW and ALS vision, mission and values.
The JR Manager will be the local lead for community-led justice reinvestment in Moree with oversight of initiatives that address drivers into the criminal justice system.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- lead strengths-based approaches to community-led systems change;
- identify, support and build site-based team capability and community leadership;
- manage and support site-based team in working with the local community to create strong, trusted relationships and support better understanding of community-led justice reinvestment;
- manage and support site-based team to work alongside the Moree community to develop community goals and ‘circuit breakers’ to reduce the rate of young people’s contact with the criminal justice system and the underlying drivers of interactions with the criminal justice system;
What you’ll bring to the role
To be successful in this position you will need to demonstrate:
- Demonstrated understanding of the justice system and its impacts on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples;
- A good understanding of the rationale and practice of community-led justice reinvestment;
- Experience working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities;
- Demonstrated well-developed community engagement and facilitation skills;
- A commitment to Aboriginal self-determination, community leadership and empowerment;
- Willingness to design and deliver, in partnership with the Moree community, a vision and solution to change systems holding disadvantage in place;
- Ability to work independently, to apply sound judgment when dealing with matters and proven experience in managing projects and delivering outcomes within strict timeframes;
- Strong people management skills and experience leading staff and volunteers;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to influence communities, people, organisations and government;
- Well-developed oral and written communication skills;
- Excellent problem-solving skills, self-motivated with ability to work with minimal supervision and ability to work as part of a team;
- Ability and willingness to travel and work in different locations;
- Demonstrated commitment to the effective implementation of Workplace Health and Safety and Ethical and Diversity practices in the workplace
- Covid-19 double vaccinated
How to apply
Applications for this position close at midnight, Tuesday 22 February 2022.