ALS Justice Reinvestment Engagement Officer
Full time (24-month role) with opportunity to extend
This is an Aboriginal/Torres Strait Islander identified position which is a genuine occupational qualification and is authorized under section 14(d) of the Anti-Discrimination Act 1977.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The focus of this role is to ensure the experiences, expertise and aspirations of Aboriginal community members and young people in Moree are at the centre of ALS community engagement work.
This role is based at the Moree ALS office and will work as part of a local multi-disciplinary team in close collaboration with Just Reinvest NSW (JRNSW), and as such will contribute as part of a collaborative team.
In this role you will:
- Support the consolidation, further development, and implementation of the plan for justice circuit breakers to help lower the interactions of Aboriginal people with the justice system
- Work with the ALS crime solicitors, police, courts, Legal Aid, community members, community organisations, services, government and other stakeholders to engage with and support implementation of the plan for justice circuit breakers
YOUR SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
To be successful in this position you will need to demonstrate:
- Knowledge and appreciation of the cultural and social needs of Aboriginal people combined with continuing respect and support for Aboriginal cultural practices in dealing with community members and staff
- Demonstrated understanding of the justice system, its impacts on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and the need for community-led justice reinvestment initiatives
- A commitment to Aboriginal self-determination, community leadership and empowerment
- Experience working with and alongside Aboriginal communities
- Demonstrated ability to work with stakeholders to create strong, trusted relationships
- Sound written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to gain consciousness, confidently share ideas and support change
- Highly level organisation and time management skills
- Specific experience working with Aboriginal people in Moree, including young people
- Experience planning and implementing community engagement strategies
How to apply
Applications for this position close at 5.00pm Monday 10 October 2022. Only candidates with completed application packages will be considered.