Redfern or Canberra | Full-time | Fixed term to June 2025
The Aboriginal Legal Service is offering an exciting opportunity to provide advice and support towards Justice Partnership projects related to the National Agreement on Closing the Gap. Enjoy coming to work each day with a purpose-driven organisation that makes a real difference.
This role would suit an experienced Policy Advisor with a current knowledge of the Aboriginal community-controlled sector.
Hybrid working may be available, with regular travel to ALS Canberra or Redfern office.
About the ALS
Born out of a protest movement, the Aboriginal Legal Service (NSW/ACT) Limited is the primary legal service for Aboriginal people in NSW and the ACT. Our vision is to achieve social justice and equity for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, families and communities.
We offer a diverse, inclusive and supportive work environment. We’re passionate about what we do and we work hard. The ALS values the health and wellbeing of our employees and we are proud to offer flexible work practices. Staff can choose to take advantage of benefits including salary packaging to maximise take-home pay.
About the role
The primary responsibility of the Policy Officer role is to provide advice and support to the Aboriginal Legal Service (ALS) to engage in the Justice Policy Partnership (JPP), under the National Agreement on Closing the Gap.
Your skills and experience
- Knowledge and awareness of the cultural practices, values and issues that affect Aboriginal people in today's society
- Knowledge and understanding of the Aboriginal community-controlled sector
- Demonstrated commitment and capacity to promote the rights interests and aspirations of Aboriginal people
- Demonstrated experience in policy analysis, policy development and project management
- Demonstrated interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Demonstrated political awareness and astuteness
- Demonstrated research, analytical and information management skills including the ability to use these to formulate, interpret, analyse, implement, and evaluate policy and program initiatives
- Well-developed oral and written communication skills including a demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with other organisations regarding key Closing the Gap policy issues
How to apply
Please submit the completed application package to Sarah Hopkins, Principal Solicitor, Justice Projects, Policy and Practice at [email protected]
- If you have any enquiries or would like to discuss the role, please contact Ann Pitkeathly, Recruitment Manager, E: [email protected]
Applications for this position close on Friday 7 October 2022.