Just Reinvest Community Engagement Officer | Mt Druitt
Just Reinvest NSW works alongside communities to support a justice reinvestment (JR) approach to lowering interactions of young people with the criminal justice system and create better outcomes for young people and their families. Just Reinvest NSW’s approach is to support place-based and data-driven initiatives that are devised and driven by the community.
We are looking for a person with a passion for Mt Druitt and who wants to be part of working towards local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community-led change. We have created a 12-month temporary Community Engagement Officer position to support our work in the Mt Druitt region of Western Sydney. The role of the Community Engagement Officer is to explore whether and how a community-led justice reinvestment approach to lowering interactions with the criminal justice system may work in Mt Druitt.
The Community Engagement Officer will use their experience and understanding of Mt Druitt to:
- Work with community members, community organisations, services, government and other stakeholders to help build a better understanding of justice reinvestment,
- Explore how a justice reinvestment approach might support the Mt Druitt community.
- Support local projects and initiatives that help lower interactions of young people with the justice system.
A focus of this role is to ensure the experiences, expertise and aspirations of young Aboriginal people in Mt Druitt are at the centre of the engagement work.
The Just Reinvest NSW (JR) Community Engagement Officer will be part of the Just Reinvest NSW team to provide support to the community engagement work in Mt Druitt, as well as supporting work in Moree and other communities in NSW.
The JR Community Engagement Officer will work with community members to support whole of community, place based, data-driven initiatives to lower interactions of young people with the criminal justice system and creating better outcomes young people and their families. This role works to support a better understanding of justice reinvestment amongst community members, services, government and other stakeholders.
Working with the Mt Druitt community to create strong, trusted relationships and support better understanding of community-led justice reinvestment
Engage and support partnerships in Mt Druitt with key community groups and stakeholders including youth services and emerging young leaders
Work with the Just Reinvest NSW team to plan and implement community engagement and communications strategies in Mt Druitt. This may include creating and distributing communications materials.
Work closely with, and support Just Reinvest NSW’s Mt Druitt Youth Engagement Officers and Youth Ambassadors.
Support emerging community-led justice reinvestment initiatives in other communities, as required
- Knowledge, appreciation and respect for the cultural and social needs of Aboriginal people.
- Experience working with and alongside Aboriginal communities.
- Demonstrated ability to work with stakeholders to create strong, trusted relationships.
- Sound written skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Flexibility and ability to manage varied and conflicting demands to agreed standards and timelines
- Ability to use Microsoft Office software - Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Experience working with young people
- Experience working with Aboriginal people in Western Sydney
- Driver License
- Ability to travel across NSW
$66,465 (grossed up $74,880) to $74,972 approximately (grossed up $83,408)
Tax concession of $15,900 per FBT year (1 April to 30 March)
This is an Aboriginal/Torres Strait Islander Identified position which is a genuine occupational qualification and is authorised under section 14(d) of the Anti-Discrimination Act 1977.
Applications close at 5 pm Friday 27 March 2020
For enquiries about this position and an application package, please contact Jenny Lovric, Manager - Community Engagement & Partnerships.
Phone: 0412 754 472