Just Reinvest Community Engagement Officer
Location: Mt Druitt Western Sydney
The Aboriginal Legal Service NSW/ACT Limited (ALS) is a public company limited by guarantee and registered charity. It is primarily funded by the Australian Government Attorney-General's department and managed by an Aboriginal Board and governed by the ALS Company. The Company consists of thirty Aboriginal people from NSW and ACT and Company members are elected for three-year terms and represent their community.
The ALS is one of the largest Aboriginal legal practices delivering legal services to Aboriginal people in Australia. With over 200 staff, we provide information and referral, legal advice and court representation in criminal law, family law and care and protection law to Aboriginal men, women and children in 24 offices across urban, regional and remote NSW and ACT.
Just Reinvest NSW
Just Reinvest NSW is a coalition of organisations and individuals that have come together to address the significant over-representation of Aboriginal young people in custody through a Justice Reinvestment framework.
Justice Reinvestment is a place-based, data-driven approach to justice that builds stronger communities by redirecting money that would be spent on prisons into early intervention, crime prevention and diversion.
In 2013, Just Reinvest NSW began a partnership with the Aboriginal community in Bourke to implement the first major justice reinvestment trial in Australia, the Maranguka Justice Reinvestment Project in Bourke.
Just Reinvest NSW works and collaborates across individual, community, service system and partnership levels. The data and research needs of Just Reinvest NSW will include the data and research across the domains of the legal system, health, psychosocial well-being, program design, co-design and sustainability and cultural competency – with a focus on improving the well-being of Aboriginal young people, their families and the communities in which they live, work and thrive.
- Working with community stakeholders to create strong, trusted relationships and support better understanding of justice reinvestment.
- Support planning and implementation of a community engagement and communications strategy in Mt Druitt including creating and distributing communications materials.
- Engage consistently with key community groups including youth services and emerging young leaders.
- Work closely with and support the Mt Druitt Youth Engagement Officers.
- Support emerging community-led justice reinvestment initiatives in other communities as required.
This role is part time working 4 days per week.
Your Skills and Expertise
- Knowledge and appreciation of the cultural and social needs of Aboriginal people combined with continuing respect and support for Aboriginal cultural practices in dealing with clients, their families, communities and staff.
- Experience working with and alongside Aboriginal communities.
- Flexibility and ability to manage varied and conflicting demands to agreed standards and timelines
- High level interpersonal skills
- Sound written skills
- Experience planning and implementing community engagement strategies
- Ability to work with stakeholders to create strong, trusted relationships.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to use Microsoft Office software - Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
How to Apply
Please contact Alanna Reneman at Office Manager and Data Support firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0449 848 859 for an application package for this position.
Applications for this position close at 5:00 pm Monday, 20 July 2020.
This role is an Aboriginal identified position