Just Reinvest Community Engagement Office | Sydney
The Aboriginal Legal Service NSW/ACT Limited (ALS) is a public company limited by guarantee and registered charity. It is primarily funded by the Australian Government Attorney-General's department and managed by an Aboriginal Board and governed by the ALS Company. The Company consists of thirty Aboriginal people from NSW and ACT and Company members are elected for three-year terms and represent their community.
The ALS is one of the largest Aboriginal legal practices delivering legal services to Aboriginal people in Australia. With over 200 staff, we provide information and referral, legal advice and court representation in criminal law, family law and care and protection law to Aboriginal men, women and children in 24 offices across urban, regional and remote NSW and ACT.
Just Reinvest NSW is a coalition of organisations and individuals that have come together to address the significant over-representation of Aboriginal young people in custody through a Justice Reinvestment framework.
Justice Reinvestment is a place-based, data-driven approach to justice that builds stronger communities by redirecting money that would be spent on prisons into early intervention, crime prevention and diversion.
In 2013, Just Reinvest NSW began a partnership with the Aboriginal community in Bourke to implement the first major justice reinvestment trial in Australia, the Maranguka Justice Reinvestment Project in Bourke.
Just Reinvest NSW works and collaborates across individual, community, service system and partnership levels. The data and research needs of Just Reinvest NSW will include the data and research across the domains of the legal system, health, psychosocial well-being, program design, co-design and sustainability and cultural competency – with a focus on improving the well-being of Aboriginal young people, their families and the communities in which they live, work and thrive.
• Sourcing, collating, updating and maintaining data for Just Reinvest NSW and communities including crime, education and human services data
• Preparing data for stakeholder and political engagement briefings
• Supporting service mapping in emerging justice reinvestment communities
• Troubleshooting issues and challenges in data collection
• Assisting in designing data visualisations
• Supporting the development of monitoring, evaluation and learning frameworks
• Supporting Just Reinvest NSW team with their research needs
• Build and maintain a system for collecting, maintaining and updating information and research relevant to the research and practice priorities of Just Reinvest NSW.
Your Skills and Expertise
• Knowledge and appreciation of the cultural and social needs of Aboriginal people combined with continuing respect and support for Aboriginal cultural practices in dealing with clients, their families, communities and staff.
•Demonstrated experience and expertise in data collection, research and analysis.
• Flexibility and ability to manage varied and conflicting demands to agreed standards and timelines
• High level interpersonal, written and communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• High level skills in Microsoft Office software - Excel, Word and PowerPoint
Please contact Ms Jenny Lovric Manager, Community Engagement and Partnerships at email@example.com or call 0412 754 472 for an application package for this position.
Applications for this position close midnight Friday, 13 December 2019.
Aboriginal applicants are encouraged to apply