Redfern, with hybrid work available | Full-time | Fixed-term (24 months)
The Aboriginal Legal Service is offering an exciting opportunity to contribute to our mission by delivering financial processes, monitoring and controls to ensure we work within our funding budgets.
This role is based within the Finance team at Redfern, however has ability (once ALS practices are established) to work in part flexibly from home/ alternate locations if required.
Enjoy coming to work each day with a purpose-driven organisation that makes a real difference.
This role would suit a qualified Accountant, with a few years work experience and CPA/CA studies near completion. Past experience working in a not-for-profit organisation would be an advantage.
About the ALS
Born out of a protest movement, the Aboriginal Legal Service (NSW/ACT) Limited is the primary legal service for Aboriginal people in NSW and the ACT. Our vision is to achieve social justice and equity for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, families and communities.
We offer a diverse, inclusive and supportive work environment. We’re passionate about what we do and we work hard. The ALS values the health and wellbeing of our employees and we are proud to offer flexible work practices. Staff can choose to take advantage of benefits including salary packaging to maximise take-home pay.
About the role
Reporting to the Senior Finance Officer, the Financial Accountant is responsible for the preparation of management accounts, grant acquittals and statutory Financial Statements, assisting with statutory reporting requirements (including BAS and PAYG), assisting with the annual budget preparation and supporting the Finance Officers with their accounts payable and payroll responsibilities. These duties will be undertaken in alignment with relevant accounting standards, tax laws and company policies and procedures.
This role will support the existing team members and assist the Senior Finance Officer in reviewing their work and providing support as required.
Your skills and experience
- Relevant Tertiary degree plus, CPA/CA Qualified or close to completion
- Intermediate to Advanced Excel skills (confident with VLOOKUP, pivot tables)
- High level of accountability with the independent ability to prioritise and manage deadlines
- Experienced in preparing or assisting with the preparation of draft statutory Financial Statements
- Experienced in drafting internal month end financial reporting
- Experienced in preparing external BAS statements, and annual FBT/ ACNC reports
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to effectively communicate with all levels of the business
- Strong attention to detail, with ability to interpret and explain financial data and anomalies
- Knowledge and appreciation of the cultural and social needs of Aboriginal people combined with respect and support for Aboriginal cultural practices
How to apply
Please submit the completed application package to Ann Pitkeathly, Recruitment Manager at [email protected]
- If you have any enquiries or would like to discuss the role, please contact Ann Pitkeathly, Recruitment Manager at [email protected]
Applications for this position close at 5:00pm Sunday 29 January 2023.
Panel interviews via MS Teams will be scheduled from Monday 13 February 2023.