Temporary Fulltime (6 months with the possibility of extension –Maternity Leave position)
The Aboriginal Legal Service NSW/ACT Limited (ALS) is a public company limited by guarantee and registered charity. It is primarily funded by the Australian Government Attorney-General's department and managed by an Aboriginal Board and governed by the ALS Company. The Company consists of thirty Aboriginal people from NSW and ACT and Company members are elected for three-year terms and represent their community.
The ALS is one of the largest Aboriginal legal practices delivering legal services to Aboriginal people in Australia. With over 200 staff, we provide information and referral, legal advice and court representation in criminal law, family law and care and protection law to Aboriginal men, women and children in 24 offices across urban, regional and remote NSW and ACT
Provide high quality support to Aboriginal clients, in accordance with the ALS policies, procedures and guidelines; to contribute to the implementation of the Aboriginal Legal Service's strategic plan to deliver high quality legal services to Aboriginal clients.
- Attend upon clients in police custody and ensure that clients receive relevant information as to their rights when required
- Liaise with clients, their families and the community providing information as to the operation of the criminal justice system
- Assist solicitors generally in the preparation of legal representation/communication with clients
- Assist in general para-legal duties
This role is an Aboriginal Identified position.
Your Skills and Expertise
- Identify as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person and are accepted as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person in the community you live.
- Have knowledge and understanding of social justice issues affecting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people involved in the legal system and being aware of cultural community protocols.
- Have an in depth knowledge of support and referral services available to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander clients.
- Have experience in the preparation and delivery of Community Legal Education, including Outreach.
- Have experience in working with communities to establish and maintain effective networks with relevant service providers both government and non government.
- Excellent communication and problem solving skills, including demonstrated computer skills.
- Have a current valid NSW driver's licence.
Job Benefits and Perks
- 10% superannuation
- 35 hour week
- RDO per month
- 20 days annual leave + loading
- Christmas leave paid
- 6 days Special leave
- Study leave
All enquiries and a copy of the application package please contact Sheri Misaghi:
E: email@example.com T: 02 8303 6600
Please note that incomplete applications will not be accepted. You must address each of the selection criteria noted in the application package.
The position offered to the employee is subject to the employee agreeing he/she must undergo:
- Criminal History Check
- Working With Children Check
Applications close 9 am on Tuesday, 4 August 2020