Redfern, NSW l Full-Time l Fixed Term until June 2025
Primary purpose of the role
The position of the Data & Quality Improvement Officer is to ensure that the ALS can produce consistent high-quality client data reports or other reports and analysis for internal decision making and external reporting compliance purposes. The Data & Quality Improvement Officer will have the ability to design and deliver training and support on the client database management system to users within the organisation, especially those involved in data entry in each office across NSW and ACT.
Why Join the ALS NSW/ACT team?
At Aboriginal Legal Services NSW/ACT you will make an impactful change. You have the chance to change lives and bring social justice and equity for the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, families and communities.
Our focus is our people; the people we support, and the team we employ. We offer a career you can be proud of and a place where you feel safe to be yourself. We invest in our workforce and appreciate the rich diversity they represent of life experience, languages, and culture. Born out of a protest movement over 50 years ago, the Aboriginal Legal Service (NSW/ACT) Limited is the primary legal service for Aboriginal people in NSW and the ACT. It’s an exciting time for the ALS, with both our services and teams growing significantly. We recently received additional government funding to deliver a range of new programs aimed at addressing systemic issues and driving structural reforms. This is creating unprecedented opportunities for the ALS and our communities. For many of our staff making a real difference to the lives of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, families and communities and working with a great, supportive team is its own reward. We appreciate that, but we want our team to know that we value them so offer benefits such as:
- Salary packaging options and novated car leasing
- Annual Leave Loading of 17.5%
- Career and professional development opportunities
- Access to personal counselling for you and your family
- A range of additional paid leave, paid parental and study leave
- Flexible work options – talk to us about how we can make this role work for you
The Data & Quality Improvement Officer will be part of the Data team within the Shared Services Division. The shared services team is a team that provides centralised support of all our offices and employees at ALS NSW/ACT.
- Developing and ensuring a clear understanding of the National Legal Assistance Data Standards Manual and any other relevant data requirements within the organization
- Support the development of ALS position on current and proposed policy changes to the data standards manual
- Assist in compliance with data and other file management protocols to support teams across the practice
- Utilise systems and technology which have a significant impact on the legal practice including adapting to new, and enhancing the use of current, systems and technology
- Identifying and addressing client database management system inefficiencies and failures, proactively creating solutions to meet organisational needs
- Prepare complex database queries to disseminate information to users across the organisation.
- Assist in mapping, analysing, and presenting accurate, reliable and timely reports to meet internal and external requirements and expectations
- Assist in the coordination (on an organisational basis) the accurate and relevant input, collection, review, analysis, storage and maintenance of client service data for reporting to internal and external stakeholders
- Act as the primary contact for the CMS helpdesk, providing technical support and responding to support inquiries from staff
- Ensure data integrity by merging duplicate records, updating data and monitoring data quality through regular error checks.
- Promoting the reuse of standardised data names, definitions, elements and values
- Deliver continuous data training to different teams across the practice and develop comprehensive data documentation and training materials for staff.
- Providing confidential feedback to the Executive, when requested, regarding the achievement of Data Collection Compliance and other quality reporting targets relative to data management
- Demonstrating continuing respect and support for Aboriginal cultural practices in dealing with clients, their families, communities, directors and staff. Continuing to learn about the customs and history of local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities
- Travelling to regional and interstate locations for work purposes (an inherent requirement of the job is the ability to independently travel to regional locations for work purposes if required. The ALS is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will consider reasonable adjustments where an employee cannot meet this requirement)
The successful incumbent will demonstrate:
Knowledge and appreciation of the cultural and social needs of Aboriginal people combined with continuing respect and support for Aboriginal cultural practices when considering service delivery and other support for clients, their families, communities, and staff
Knowledge and understanding of the workings of client database systems; its uses and capabilities and the relationship with service delivery and reporting
- Demonstrated ability to write complex SQL queries to extract and manipulate data
- Experience with one or more data visualisation tools (Power BI, Tableau, Qlik, etc.)
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced environment with a positive attitude
- Assist in building reports and dashboards that work reliably for the business and are accurate
- Attention to detail to consistently deliver high quality output
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to find creative solutions to arising needs including utilising online resources and researching third-party tools.
- Ability to undertake or contribute to database improvements, upgrades, and other database related projects
- Ability to create high quality, relevant and compliant reports
- Ability to identify, proactively seek feedback on, and rectify system usage challenges, promoting quality improvement across the organisation
- Experience in planning and coordinating data collection from multiple sites, reviewing and extracting client data reports for a range of internal and external stakeholders
- Communicate effectively with all stakeholders on database reports and compliance issues
- Demonstrate ability to provide hands on or remote support and on-job training with respect to the client database with team members across NSW/ACT
- Highly developed interpersonal and influencing skills and excellent oral and written communication skills
- The ability to work autonomously and in a team environment, applying sound judgement
- Experience in data cleansing and migrating data from server-based to a cloud-based environment highly regarded, as is experience working with Microsoft Office 365
- Experience working in a not-for-profit community organisation
How to apply:
- Send your resume and cover letter to [email protected]
- Download a copy of the position description here
Applications close 11:59pm 29 November 2023