Intermediate Solicitor (Civil Lawyer) - Commonwealth Disability Royal Commission (Mobile Advisory Service)
Redfern - Temporary Full Time to 30 June 2022
Salary range: $84,309 - $91,338 – dependent of experience
The Aboriginal Legal Service NSW/ACT Limited (ALS) is a public company limited by guarantee and registered charity. It is managed by an Aboriginal Board and governed by the ALS Company. The Company consists of thirty Aboriginal people from NSW and ACT and Company members are elected for three-year terms and represent their community.
The ALS is one of the largest Aboriginal legal practices delivering legal services to Aboriginal people in Australia. With over 200 staff, we provide information and referral, legal advice and court representation in criminal law, family law and care and protection law to Aboriginal men, women and children in 24 offices across urban, regional and remote NSW and ACT
The role will be part of the Mobile National Legal Advisory Service for Commonwealth Disability Royal Commission, working closely with LegalAid NSW. The position reports directly to the Principal Legal Officer and will be based in Shared Services/Redfern office.
- Provide civil legal assistance, both casework and advice, to Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander persons, who have been referred to ALS through the NLAS, other services or organisations, or other mobile lawyers travelling with the Royal Commission.
- Be responsible for working more intensively with people who are seeking to prepare statements and/or submissions and engage with the Royal Commission, where these people have been referred from NLAS, other services or organisations, or other mobile lawyers travelling with the Royal Commission.
- Provide the above legal services with a strong outreach focus, including to people residing in prisons or other places of detention.
- In some cases, prepare applications for legal assistance funding on behalf of any Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander persons who have been asked to appear and give evidence at the royal commission.
- Work closely with the NLAS coordinating team, phone service manager and mobile lawyers assisting the Royal Commission, including receiving referrals, and acting promptly to best ensure community members’ ongoing engagement with the Royal Commission process.
- Engage collaboratively with other legal and non-legal stakeholders who are involved with the Royal Commission, to ensure appropriate cross referrals pathways and lines of communication are established and maintained.
- Other legal and advocacy tasks in connection with the Royal Commission as required.
- Ensure all policies and practices are ethical and comply with the ALS’s policies and workplace health and safety legislation and promote the establishment of equal employment and access in accordance with agreed statutory policy.
- Demonstrate continuing respect and support for Aboriginal cultural practices in dealing with clients, their families, communities, directors and staff; as an employee of the ALS, continue to learn about the customs and history of local Aboriginal people.
- Maintain all files in an orderly and professional manner, including the recording of all data for statistical purposes.
- Work collaboratively as a team member with all other legal, field and administrative staff to achieve effective service co-ordination.
Essential Skills, Knowledge and Expertise
- Legal qualifications and a NSW Practising Certificate (or able to obtain one immediately)
- Experience representing clients in civil matters
- Demonstrated ability to provide high quality, culturally appropriate civil legal advice and casework to persons referred to ALS
- Ability to work professionally, collaboratively and effectively as part of the ALS, NATSILS and DRCLAS teams
- Ability to be responsive to the strategic direction and focus of the Royal Commission
- Possess a strong ability and willingness to travel with Disability Commission Team
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and time management
- Desirable to the position would be any experience working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
How to apply
To download an Application package for this role please click here
Please submit your application to Jennifer Wallace, HR Officer at [email protected].
Only candidates with completed application packages will be considered.
Applications for this position close at 5 pm on Monday 1 November 2021.