Flexible/ Hybrid | Part-time | Fixed-term (12 months)
The Aboriginal Legal Service is offering an exciting opportunity to provide legal advice and guidance on a wide range of commercial matters including contract negotiation, drafting and regulatory compliance.
Enjoy applying yourself to work each day with a purpose-driven organisation that makes a real difference.
This role would suit a lawyer experienced in the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth), plus experience in conducting operations within the ACNC regulatory environment and in managing governance and risk in an organisational setting.
About the ALS
Born out of a protest movement, the Aboriginal Legal Service (NSW/ACT) Limited is the primary legal service for Aboriginal people in NSW and the ACT. Our vision is to achieve social justice and equity for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, families and communities.
We offer a diverse, inclusive and supportive work environment. We’re passionate about what we do and we work hard. The ALS values the health and wellbeing of our employees and we are proud to offer flexible work practices. Staff can choose to take advantage of benefits including salary packaging to maximise take-home pay.
About the role
The purpose of this role is to provide legal advice and guidance on a wide range of commercial matters including contract negotiation, drafting and regulatory compliance. The position holder will also provide day-to-day support to the Company Secretary as required.
This position requires commercial legal experience together with a hands-on, practical, and flexible approach to problem solving, excellent communication and the ability to act autonomously.
We can accommodate flexible work options for this role, working in the office or from home across 3-4 days per week.
Your skills and experience
- Knowledge and appreciation of the cultural and social needs of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people combined with continuing respect and support for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural practices when considering service delivery and other support for clients, their families, communities and employees
- Tertiary qualifications in Law
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth), plus experience conducting operations with the ACNC regulatory environment, including application of the ACNC Act and ACNC regulations
- Proven ability to provide practical, commercially focused legal advice
- Strong drafting and advisory skills
- Highly developed interpersonal skills and excellent oral and written communication skills
- Advanced problem-solving and analytical skills
- Advanced computer literacy and data management skills
- Strong administrative and organisational skills with excellent attention to detail
- Ability to manage competing deadlines
- The ability to work autonomously
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in relevant legal, governance, compliance, or similar positions
- Experience in contributing to business process improvements to achieve greater effectiveness and efficiencies
- Prior experience managing governance and risk
How to apply
Download the application package for this position
Please submit the completed application package to Ann Pitkeathly, Recruitment Manager at E: [email protected]
- If you have any enquiries or would like to discuss the role, please contact Ann Pitkeathly, Recruitment Manager at E: [email protected]
Please apply promptly, as we may shortlist and commence interviews within the vacancy period.
Applications for this position close at 5:00pm, Monday 17 July 2023.