Flexible NSW/ACT Location | Part Time | 12 Months Fixed Term
Primary purpose of the role
The primary purpose of this role is to provide legal advice on a wide range of commercial matters including contract negotiation, drafting and regulatory compliance. The position holder will also support the Senior Manager Compliance & Governance / Company Secretary with company secretarial and governance support as directed. This role offers excellent flexible work options and applications are encouraged from carer’s re-entering the workforce or seeking a for-purpose organisation and role that supports you to balance your career and other commitments. Available part-time 21 hours up to 28 hours per week, flexible schedule including school hours, and the flexibility to work from ALS NSW/ACT offices / hybrid / or from home.
Why join the ALS NSW/ACT team?
At Aboriginal Legal Services NSW/ACT you will make an impactful change. You have the chance to change lives and bring social justice and equity for the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, families and communities.
Our focus is our people; the people we support, and the team we employ. We offer a career you can be proud of and a place where you feel safe to be yourself. We invest in our workforce and appreciate the rich diversity they represent of life experience, languages, and culture.
Born out of a protest movement over 50 years ago, the Aboriginal Legal Service (NSW/ACT) Limited is the primary legal service for Aboriginal people in NSW and the ACT. It’s an exciting time for the ALS, with both our services and teams growing significantly. We recently received additional government funding to deliver a range of new programs aimed at addressing systemic issues and driving structural reforms. This is creating unprecedented opportunities for the ALS and our communities.
For many of our staff making a real difference to the lives of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, families and communities and working with a great, supportive team is its own reward.
We appreciate that, but we want our team to know that we value them so offer benefits such as:
- Salary packaging options and novated car leasing
- Annual Leave Loading of 17.5%
- Career and professional development opportunities
- Access to personal counselling for you and your family
- A range of additional paid leave, paid parental and study leave
- Flexible work options – talk to us about how we can make this role work for you
The Compliance and Governance Lawyer role will be part of the Shared Services team. The shared services team is a team that provides centralised support of all our offices and employees at ALS NSW/ACT. Excellent opportunity to apply your corporate compliance and governance legal skills in a practical, hands-on part-time role, offering true flexibility within a great team.
- Drafting, advising and negotiating a range of legal agreements including commercial contracts and funding agreements, ensuring identification of legal risks, and compliance with applicable laws and regulations
- Administering compliance, policy frameworks, processes, and systems, using best practice, and meeting the organisation's legislative and funding requirements
- Working with internal stakeholders including the Grants Manager to ensure compliance with funding agreements
- Providing counsel on corporate governance matters
- Ensuring compliance matters are adequately addressed and reported (e.g. ASIC/ACNC)
- Assisting the Company Secretary as required including maintaining various governance registers such as the Register of Ongoing Conflicts, Register of Policies, Register of Executed Agreements
- Assisting in the preparation and facilitation of director induction, including maintaining the Board Handbook and associated governance documents and fit and proper assessments
- Assist with the arrangement and coordination of Board and Committee meetings as directed, together with attendance and minute taking if required
- Assist with the ALS member and director elections
- Other matters as reasonably required from time to time
- Update the register of company policies, procedures and guidelines liaising with relevant document owners as required
The successful incumbent will demonstrate:
- Knowledge and appreciation of the cultural and social needs of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people combined with continuing respect and support for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural practices when considering service delivery and other support for clients, their families, communities and employees
- Tertiary qualifications in Law combined with relevant experience in legal, governance, compliance, or similar positions
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth), plus experience conducting operations with the ACNC regulatory environment, including application of the ACNC Act and ACNC regulations
- Proven ability to provide practical, commercially focused legal advice
- Strong drafting and advisory skills
- Highly developed interpersonal skills and excellent oral and written communication skills
- Advanced problem-solving, data management and analytical skills
- Strong administrative and organisational skills with excellent attention to detail
- The ability to work autonomously
- Experience in contributing to business process improvements to achieve greater effectiveness and efficiencies
- Experience drafting and/or negotiating funding agreements
- Prior experience managing governance and risk
- Identify as an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander person
ALS NSW/ACT is committed to implementing safer recruitment practices. Your application may be subject to a number of pre-employment checks such as reference checks, Working with Children (NSW) or Working with Vulnerable People (ACT) check, Right to work in Australia, COVID-19 vaccinations as per NSW/ACT Health Order and Police check. Please note that candidates with criminal records are not automatically barred from being considered. Each application will be considered on its merits
How to apply:
- Download a copy of the position description
- Please submit the a copy of your resume and cover letter to [email protected]
Closing Date: 11:59pm Thursday 30 November 2023.