Communications & Marketing Officer
This is an Aboriginal/Torres Strait Islander identified position which is a genuine occupational qualification and is authorised under section 14(d) of the Anti-Discrimination Act 1977.
The Aboriginal Legal Service is offering an exciting opportunity for an Aboriginal person to kick off their career in communications, media and marketing. Enjoy coming to work each day with a purpose-driven organisation that makes a real difference.
This role would suit someone nearing the end of their studies in communication or marketing, a recent graduate, or someone with limited experience in a similar role. You will work closely with the Communications and Marketing Manager and benefit from the opportunity to learn and build your skills on the job.
The Aboriginal Legal Service NSW/ACT Limited (ALS) is a public company limited by guarantee and registered charity. It is primarily funded by the Australian Government Attorney-General's department and managed by an Aboriginal Board and governed by the ALS Company. The Company consists of thirty Aboriginal people from NSW and ACT and Company members are elected for three-year terms and represent their community.
The ALS is one of the largest Aboriginal legal practices delivering legal services to Aboriginal people in Australia. With over 200 staff, we provide information and referral, legal advice and court representation in criminal law, family law and care and protection law to Aboriginal men, women and children in 24 offices across urban, regional and remote NSW and ACT.
- Drafting and publishing content to the ALS’ social media channels
- Monitoring and reporting on the performance of social media content and initiatives
- Moderating social media comments and managing responses to public enquiries made through online platforms
- Publishing news and stories to the ALS website (using NationBuilder)
- Undertaking regular reviews to ensure website content is up-to-date and relevant
- Keeping office details up-to-date in Google listings
- Driving internal engagement through the ALS intranet (using SharePoint), staff newsletter and other channels and strategies
- Assisting the Communications and Marketing Manager to monitor and respond to incoming media enquiries as necessary
- Using Meltwater to monitor and report on media coverage as necessary
- Assisting in the upkeep of donor records and analytics (using NationBuilder)
- Assisting in making thank-you phone calls and other contact with donors
- Assisting in collaboration with external suppliers (e.g. graphic designers, printing houses) to produce marketing materials (e.g. brochures, annual reports, merchandise)
- Assisting in general correspondence with the ALS team, our community and supporters
- Supporting ALS field officers and administrative staff to coordinate local events and ALS appearances at community events
- Continuing initiatives to commemorate the ALS’ 50th anniversary
This role is a 12-month contract on a fulltime or part-time basis (with the possibility of extension).
Your Skills and Expertise
- Knowledge and appreciation of the cultural and social needs of Aboriginal people combined with continuing respect and support for Aboriginal cultural practices when considering service delivery and other support for clients, their families, communities and staff
- Qualifications or current tertiary study in communications, media, marketing or a related field
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Confidence in building collaborative interpersonal relationships
- A high level of digital literacy, including experience using various social media as well as the Microsoft Office suite
- A can-do attitude, willingness to learn new skills, and enthusiasm to work collaboratively within a small and busy team
How to Apply
To download the application package for this position, please click here.
Please submit your application to Alyssa Robinson, Communications and Marketing Manager, [email protected]
Only candidates with completed application packages will be considered.
Applications for this position close at 11:59 pm on Sunday, 9 January 2022.