Redfern | Full-time or part-time (0.8 FTE) | Fixed-term contract (12 months) with possible extension
Calling up-and-coming communications wizards!
This is an unparalleled opportunity to build upon your strong skills and develop your career at an organisation that makes a genuine impact. We are looking for an all-rounder who brings excellent communications skills, some professional experience, an aptitude for learning, and courage to take the ball and run with it.
You’ll be working closely and collaboratively with the Communications and Marketing Manager and among the friendly Shared Services team. We’re based in the ALS Redfern office right across the road from beautiful Redfern Park, close to transport links and some great cafes.
About the ALS
Born out of a protest movement, the Aboriginal Legal Service (NSW/ACT) Limited is the primary legal service for Aboriginal people in NSW and the ACT. Our vision is to achieve social justice and equity for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, families and communities.
We offer a diverse, inclusive and supportive work environment. We’re passionate about what we do and we work hard. The ALS values the health and wellbeing of our employees and we are proud to offer flexible work practices. Staff can choose to take advantage of benefits including salary packaging to maximise take-home pay.
About the role
The Communications Officer contributes to the delivery of effective media and communications across various platforms to further the mission and vision of the ALS.
You will be one half of the hard-hitting communications and marketing team, working under the guidance of the Communications and Marketing Manager. While the team has a diverse range of responsibilities (listed in the full PD), you will be primarily responsible for social media, internal engagement, and assisting with media enquiries.
Your skills and experience
To be successful in this position you will need to demonstrate:
- Knowledge and appreciation of the cultural and social needs of Aboriginal people, combined with continuing respect and support for Aboriginal cultural practices
- Qualifications and experience in communications, media, journalism or a related field
- Excellent written communication skills, spelling and grammar
- Experience administering social media pages for an organisation/brand and developing engaging social media content
- Confidence in building collaborative interpersonal relationships
- A high level of digital literacy, including experience using the Microsoft Office suite, and ability to familiarise yourself with new digital platforms/programs
- A can-do attitude, willingness to learn new skills, and enthusiasm to work collaboratively within a small and busy team
- Experience in fundraising communications and/or administration
- Experience using NationBuilder, Meltwater, Canva, Google My Business, Google Analytics, and/or Microsoft SharePoint
- Experience filming/editing videos for social media
- Experience working in an Aboriginal community-controlled organisation and/or not-for-profit community organisation
- Understanding of legal concepts
- Awareness of – and interest in – news and current affairs, particularly regarding issues that affect Aboriginal people and communities
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to apply
Download the application package for this position
Please note that to be considered for this position, your application must include 3 samples of your writing. Ideally this should comprise 3 different types of collateral (e.g. a social media post, a supporter newsletter article, and an intranet post).
If you have any enquiries or would like to discuss the role, please contact Alyssa Robinson, Communications and Marketing Manager at E: [email protected]Please submit the completed application package to Ann Pitkeathly, Recruitment Manager at E: [email protected]
Please apply promptly, as we may shortlist and interview suitable candidates within the vacancy period.
Applications for this position close at COB Wednesday 31 May 2023.