Solicitor(s)| Custody Notification Service (Redfern)
From $55,906 (approx grossed up to $64,376) to $64,254 (approx grossed up to $72,670). Tax concession of $15,900 per FBT year (1 April to 30 March)
We have various roles for CNS Solicitors at our Redfern Office.
The Custody Notification (CNS) Solicitor is primarily responsible within this Service of providing a 24-hour legal advice and support phone line for Aboriginal people taken into police custody. In particular the position holder will:
- Provide legal advice and support over the CNS telephone to persons in custody;
- Assess if the person in custody is facing any self-harm threat or requires any duty of care notification or response;
- Contact the person’s family and/or an Aboriginal Field Officer to ensure parental or family concern for their whereabouts and health are minimised;
- Complete CNS forms and logs.
Skills and Expertise
- Knowledge and appreciation of the cultural and social needs of Aboriginal people combined with continuing respect and support for Aboriginal cultural practices in dealing with clients, their families, communities and staff.
- Legal qualifications and a NSW Practicing Certificate (or be able to obtain one immediately).
- Up-to-date knowledge of the Criminal Law, including practice and procedure.
- Proven capacity to identify and understand legal issues facing socially and economically disadvantaged Aboriginal/Torres Strait Islanders peoples.
- Proven capacity to provide strong client advisory, support and advocacy role and capacity to provide quality legal advice to Aboriginal people in custody.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to generate and log relevant client related information.
- Ability to meet deadlines, work without supervision and manage a diverse workload, together with high level conceptual, and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to the effective implementation of Workplace Health & Safety and Ethical and Diversity practices in the workplace.
- 10% superannuation
- 35 hour week
- RDO per month
- 20 days annual leave + loading
- Christmas leave paid
- 6 days Special leave
- Study leave
The application, cover letter, resume and answers to the selection criteria should be sent as a whole document.
The position offered to the Employee is subject to the Employee agreeing he/she may be required to undergo:
- Criminal History Check
- Working With Children Check
For enquiries about this position please contact Ms Sheri Misaghi for an application package
Phone: 02 8303 6600
Applications close at Midnight Thursday, 15 January 2020
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People and encouraged to apply.