Kempsey | Full-time | Fixed-term
The primary responsibility of a CNS Solicitor is to provide (within a dedicated team) a 24-hour legal advice and support phone line for Aboriginal people taken into police custody. Enjoy coming to work each day with a purpose-driven organisation that makes a real difference.
In particular, the position holder will:
- Provide legal advice and support over the CNS telephone to persons in custody
- Assess if the person in custody is facing any self-harm threat or requires any duty of care notification or response
- Contact the person’s family and/or an Aboriginal Field Officer to ensure parental or family concern for their whereabouts and health are minimised, and
- Complete CNS forms and logs
About the ALS
Born out of a protest movement, the Aboriginal Legal Service (NSW/ACT) Limited is the primary legal service for Aboriginal people in NSW and the ACT. Our vision is to achieve social justice and equity for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, families and communities.
We offer a diverse, inclusive and supportive work environment. We’re passionate about what we do and we work hard. The ALS values the health and wellbeing of our employees and we are proud to offer flexible work practices. Staff can choose to take advantage of benefits including salary packaging to maximise take-home pay.
Your skills and experience
- Knowledge and appreciation of the cultural and social needs of Aboriginal people combined with continuing respect and support for Aboriginal cultural practices in dealing with clients, their families, communities, and staff
- Legal qualifications and a NSW Practicing Certificate (or be able to obtain one immediately)
- Up-to-date knowledge of the Criminal Law, including practice and procedure
- Proven capacity to identify and understand legal issues facing socially and economically disadvantaged Aboriginal/Torres Strait Islanders peoples
- Proven capacity to provide strong client advisory, support and advocacy role and capacity to provide quality legal advice to Aboriginal people in custod
How to apply
Please submit the completed application package to the HR Team at [email protected]
- If you have any enquiries or would like to discuss the role, please contact the HR Team at [email protected]
Applications for this position close Friday 29 September, 2023.