Canberra | Full-time/ 35 hours per week | Fixed-term to 30 June 2024
This is an Aboriginal/Torres Strait Islander identified position which is a genuine occupational qualification and is authorized under Part 42 - Genuine occupational qualifications - race (ACT Discrimination Act, 1991)
The Aboriginal Legal Service is offering an exciting opportunity for a Client Support Officer (ACT Justice Support Programs) to join our team based in Canberra. Enjoy coming to work each day with a purpose-driven organisation that makes a real difference.
The purpose of this role is to is work alongside field officers, lawyers and staff from other justice areas and community agencies, to reduce the rate of incarceration of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in the ACT.
About the ALS
Born out of a protest movement, the Aboriginal Legal Service (NSW/ACT) Limited is the primary legal service for Aboriginal people in NSW and the ACT. Our vision is to achieve social justice and equity for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, families and communities.
We offer a diverse, inclusive and supportive work environment. We’re passionate about what we do and we work hard. The ALS values the health and wellbeing of our employees and we are proud to offer flexible work practices. Staff can choose to take advantage of benefits including salary packaging to maximise take-home pay.
About the role
The Client Support Officer will perform a broad range of duties, and role responsibilities include:
- Providing comprehensive and meaningful appropriate culturally sensitive assistance and support to clients and their families
- Identifying eligible clients and seek consent to successfully participate in the Ngurrambai Bail Support Program & Front Up Program in the focus areas of court support, AMC bail support, case management and support plan, and after hour support.
- Establishing and maintaining working and meaningful relationships with clients, their families and their lawyers, service delivery agencies, government and community agencies and other stakeholders
- Gathering, collecting and entering all relevant information and data on the outcomes and outputs of the Ngurrambai Bail Supporting and Front Up programs into the programs client management systems and preparing reports.
- Providing client support, including transport, for mandatory activities as set on the client’s bail conditions, for example, reporting to Police or for assistance with court attendances
- Working in partnership with a range of agencies, including corrections staff, health and housing services to support clients to obtain bail and comply with conditions.
- Maintaining an up-to-date knowledge of emerging community criminal justice issues.
- Demonstrating a commitment to and behaviours that aligns to ALS Values and ALS Code of Conduct
Your skills and experience
- Knowledge and understanding of social justice issues affecting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people living in the ACT and involved in the criminal justice system
- Sound judgement to solve problems in a culturally appropriate and sensitive manner
- A demonstrated working knowledge and understanding of the court and criminal justice system including outstanding warrants and bail arrangements
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the capacity to communicate and support clients under difficult circumstances
- Strong time management and prioritisation skills
- Solid working knowledge and computer skills
- Current valid Driver’s licence and a willingness to drive or travel
- ACT Working with Vulnerable People Check
How to apply
Please submit the completed application package to Human Resources E: [email protected]
- If you have any enquiries or would like to discuss the role, please contact [email protected]
Applications for this position close at 11:59pm Sunday 10 October 2023.