SOLICITOR: Graduate to Level 1
About The ALS
The ALS aims to provide culturally appropriate information and referral, legal advice and court representation to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander men, women and children in NSW and ACT.
The ALS is committed to achieving justice for Aboriginal people and the Aboriginal community. The ALS remains committed to being community focused; being fearless in our advocacy; accountable and ethical and aiming to make a difference to create better futures; while also acknowledging and respecting Aboriginal traditional values and cultural practices.
The Aboriginal Legal Service NSW/ACT Limited (ALS) is a public company limited by guarantee and a registered charity.
About the role
Working under the supervision of the Principal Legal Officer the primary objective of the role is to provide high quality legal advice and representation to clients in Criminal Law matters, in accordance with policies, procedures and guidelines. The successful candidate needs to be able to communicate with and effectively represent Aboriginal clients who may be distressed, have a disability or behavioral issues, when legal concepts may be complex and difficult for the client to understand. You would need to maintain professional competence and keep abreast of legal developments, changes in ALS policies, systems, guidelines and practices and community needs.
- Perform criminal appearance work as directed covering matters within Local Courts, Children's Courts, District Court and/or Court Circuit travel.
- This Criminal Appearance work will involve the undertaking specific activities including List Work, Sentence Matters, Bail Applications and Defended Hearings.
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of relevant criminal law legislation, case law and court procedures;
- Research, prepare and provide representation for Aboriginal clients in criminal matters and prepare briefs for counsel and attend to instructing counsel;
- Provide considered, independent, balanced and professional criminal law advice;
- Ensure all policies and practices are ethical and comply with the ALS’s policies and workplace health and safety legislation and promote the establishment of equal employment and access in accordance with agreed statutory policy;
- Demonstrate continuing respect and support for Aboriginal cultural practices in dealing with clients, their families, communities, directors and staff; as an employee of the ALS, continue to learn about the customs and history of local Aboriginal people;
- Maintain all files in an orderly and professional manner, including the recording of all data for statistical purposes;
- Ensure the lawful achievement of ALS core business objectives to the highest standards of probity and efficiency, and with due reference to the interests of all stakeholders;
Your Skills and Experience
To be successful in this position you will need to demonstrate:
- Knowledge and appreciation of the cultural and social needs of Aboriginal communities combined with continuing respect and support for Aboriginal cultural practices when considering service delivery and other support for clients, their families, communities and staff
- Legal qualifications and a NSW Practising Certificate (or be able to obtain one immediately);
- Up-to-date knowledge of the Criminal Law, including practice and procedure;
- Proven capacity to identify and understand legal issues facing socially and economically disadvantaged Aboriginal/Torres Strait Islanders peoples;
- Capacity and motivation to provide quality legal representation to Aboriginal people in rural and remote communities;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and time management skills;
- Computer literacy and capacity to generate legal correspondence; and
- Current valid NSW Drivers license and a willingness to drive in metro and country locations, travel interstate and stay overnight or longer (strongly desirable)
How to apply
To download the application package for this position please click here.
Please submit your application to Shaun Mortimer, Deputy Principal Solicitor [email protected]
Only candidates with completed application packages will be considered.
Applications for this position close on 29 September 2021
Aboriginal applicants are encouraged to apply.