Redfern, NSW l Full-Time l Permanent
This is an Aboriginal/Torres Strait Islander identified position which is a genuine occupational qualification and is authorised under section 14(d) of the Anti-Discrimination Act 1977.
Primary Purpose of the Role
The primary responsibility of the Administration Officer, Criminal Law Practice is to support the delivery of high-quality criminal law services to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander clients. The role will support both the staff of the practice as well provide client-facing service delivery, predominantly via the phone. The Criminal Law Practice operates out of 19 offices across NSW and provides criminal law services to adults and children at approximately 100 court locations across NSW. In addition, the practice represents families in coronial inquest proceedings.
Why join the ALS NSW/ACT team?
At the Aboriginal Legal Service (NSW/ACT) Limited (ALS) we deliver quality and culturally appropriate legal services that meet the needs of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people throughout NSW and the ACT. As part of the team, you will have the chance to make a difference and contribute to social justice and equity for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, families and communities.
Our focus is our people; the people and communities we support, and the team we employ. We offer a career you can be proud of and a place where you feel safe to be yourself. We invest in our workforce and appreciate the rich diversity they represent of life experience, languages, and culture. Born out of a protest movement over 50 years ago, the ALS is the primary legal service for Aboriginal people in NSW and the ACT and is fearless in its advocacy for those we represent. It’s an exciting time for the ALS, with both our services and teams growing significantly. We recently received additional government funding to deliver a range of new programs aimed at addressing systemic issues and driving structural reforms. This is creating unprecedented opportunities for the ALS and our communities. For many of our staff making a real difference to the lives of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, families and communities and working with a great, supportive team is its own reward.
In addition, we offer valuable benefits including:
- Salary packaging options and novated car leasing – meaning your fortnightly take home pay is more than it would otherwise be
- Annual Leave Loading of 17.5%
- Career and professional development opportunities
- Access to personal counselling for you and your family
- A range of paid leave including paid parental and study leave
- Flexible work options – talk to us about how we can make this role work for you
The Administration Officer role will play a critical role in supporting the work of the Criminal Law Practice, through client and staff support. This includes taking calls and inquiries from clients and providing assistance to them with their inquiries, and assisting lawyers in the practice to best represent Aboriginal people facing criminal charges.
Provide administration support services to the criminal law practice and its staff as required to support the operations of the practice including:
- Operating the office phone system between the hours of 9.00 am to 5.00 pm
- Assisting with file management
- Entering and maintaining data and reporting requirements
- Provide secretarial support services to Criminal Solicitors and other Criminal Law Practice staff including preparing correspondence and other legal documentation
- Arranging meetings and preparing records
- Other tasks as delegated from Criminal law practice staff from time to time
- Provide all necessary administration support services to clients including:
- Conducting client intake
- Providing information and referrals
- Liaising with clients as directed by Criminal Law practice staff
- Liaise with external colleagues, including Solicitors, Tribunal and Ombudsman Staff, and community organisations
- Adhere to ALS’s Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Work Health and Safety (WHS) policies, work practices and rules
- Demonstrate a commitment to and behaviours that aligns to ALS Values and ALS Code of Conduct
- Perform other reasonable duties as directed
The successful incumbent will demonstrate:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander; identifies as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person and is accepted as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person in the community in which he or she lives
- Knowledge and appreciation of the cultural and social needs of Aboriginal people combined with continuing respect and support for Aboriginal cultural practices when considering service delivery and other support for clients, their families, communities and employees
- Commitment to the principles of social justice
- Capacity to perform key duties and responsibilities in a culturally appropriate manner
- Proven computer systems skills including Microsoft 365 and typing skills with a minimum of 35 wpm
- Excellent phone manner and communication skills and experience in operating a small to medium switchboard
- Demonstrated organisational and time management skills and the ability to multi-task
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality and implement ALS policies
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Capacity to work collaboratively as a team member with all other legal, field and administrative staff to achieve effective coordination within the office
- Previous experience working in an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community-based organisation
- Previous experience working in a legal practice
ALS is committed to implementing safer recruitment practices. Your application may be subject to a number of pre-employment checks such as reference checks, Working with Children (NSW) or Working with Vulnerable People (ACT) check, Right to work in Australia, COVID-19 vaccinations as per NSW/ACT Health Order and Police check. Please note that candidates with criminal records are not automatically barred from being considered. Each application will be considered on its merits.
How to apply:
Application close 11:59pm Wednesday 29 November 2023