Canberra | Full-time or Part-time | Permanent
The Aboriginal Legal Service is offering an exciting opportunity to provide confidential administrative support to assist in the delivery of high-quality legal services for Aboriginal clients. One Part-time opportunity; one Full-time opportunity.
These roles are identified for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
Enjoy coming to work each day with a purpose-driven organisation that makes a real difference.
This role would suit a well organised person with previous office based administration experience. The two roles support each other to ensure coverage of our reception area and incoming phone enquiries.
About the ALS
Born out of a protest movement, the Aboriginal Legal Service (NSW/ACT) Limited is the primary legal service for Aboriginal people in NSW and the ACT. Our vision is to achieve social justice and equity for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, families and communities.
We offer a diverse, inclusive and supportive work environment. We’re passionate about what we do and we work hard. The ALS values the health and wellbeing of our employees and we are proud to offer flexible work practices. Staff can choose to take advantage of benefits including salary packaging to maximise take-home pay.
About the role
The Administration Officer role assists in the delivery of professional and culturally appropriate legal services to clients within the legal system, understanding the expectations of clients, their families and the broader Aboriginal community.
You will be maintaining files in an orderly and professional manner, including the recording of all data for statistical purposes and ensuring that systems and processes (including job share) are efficient and effective.
Your skills and experience
To be successful in this position you will need to demonstrate:
- Identify and be recognised in community as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person
- Knowledge and appreciation of the cultural and social needs of Aboriginal communities combined with continuing respect and support for Aboriginal cultural practices when considering service delivery and other support for clients, their families, communities and staff
- Excellent computer skills, using Microsoft Office Suite, Video Conferencing software and other systems and programs
- Good typing skills
- Excellent communication skills, respectful phone manner and experience answering and transferring phone calls
- Demonstrated organisational and time management skills and the ability to multi-task
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality and work independently in a team environment with limited supervision
How to apply
Please submit the completed application package to Dean Rutherford, Managing Solicitor (ACT) at email@example.com
- If you have any enquiries or would like to discuss the role, please contact Ann Pitkeathly, Recruitment Manager at [email protected]
Applications for this position close extended to Monday 12 December.