Moruya NSW | Full-time | Permanent
We are seeking an experienced Intermediate or Senior Solicitor to deliver culturally appropriate legal advice, and representation to clients in criminal matters, including early intervention and outreach services, community legal education and referrals.
About the ALS
Born out of a protest movement, the Aboriginal Legal Service (NSW/ACT) Limited is the primary legal service for Aboriginal people in NSW and the ACT. Our vision is to achieve social justice and equity for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, families and communities.
It’s an exciting time for the ALS, with both our services and teams growing significantly. We recently received additional government funding to deliver a range of new programs aimed at addressing systemic issues and driving structural reforms. This is creating unprecedented opportunities for the ALS and our communities.
We offer a diverse, inclusive and supportive work environment. We’re passionate about what we do and we work hard. The ALS values the health and wellbeing of our employees, and we are proud to offer flexible work practices. Staff can choose to take advantage of benefits including salary packaging to maximise take-home pay.
About the role
This role will have broad responsibilities that include:
- Provide high quality legal advice and representation to Aboriginal clients and assist them in resolving their legal problems and undertake Court responsibilities covering: Local Court; Circuit travel; Children’s Court; Coroner's Court; District Court and Crime Commission (if required)
- Provide high quality appearances and act as advocate in: List work; Short matters; Defended Hearings; Committal Proceedings; District Court Appeals and Sentences; District Court Trials (instructing counsel and appearing as an advocate in consultation with supervisors) and Coronial Inquests
- Prepare and research representation of Aboriginal clients in criminal matters and prepare briefs for counsel and attend to instructing counsel as directed
- Guide and mentor more junior solicitors regarding law and procedure and the operations of the ALS
- Assist with the development of submissions on law reform and represent the ALS at meetings, conference and seminars as requested
Your skills and experience
- Knowledge and appreciation of the cultural and social needs of Aboriginal people combined with continuing respect and support for Aboriginal cultural practices in dealing with clients, their families, communities and staff
- Legal qualifications and a NSW Practising Certificate with a minimum of 5 years’ experience (Senior Solicitor) or minimum 3 years (Intermediate) in Criminal Law
- In-depth knowledge, understanding and of the Criminal Law, including practice and procedure
- Excellent written and oral communication skills combined with strong time management, interpersonal, legal research and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work autonomously within a criminal law environment, meet conflicting deadlines and manage a demanding workload
- Ability to display sound judgement and proven capacity to provide high quality legal representation and advice to Aboriginal clients
- Ability to meet deadlines, work without supervision and manage a diverse workload, together with high level conceptual, analytical and research skills
- Demonstrated commitment to the effective implementation of Workplace Health & Safety and Ethical and Diversity practices in the workplace
How to apply
Please submit the completed application package to [email protected]
- If you have any enquiries or would like to discuss the role, please contact [email protected]
Applications for this position close at 11:59pm Sunday 15 October 2023
Please apply promptly as we may review applications and commence interviews within the advertising period for suitably qualified applicants.